Friday, July 13, 2012

It's been a topsy-turvy day

Yes, it's been an odd day today ... I've done a lot of things, but I feel
I've achieved very little.

Mrs C has a bee in her bonnet about getting things ready well in
advance, for family members (The London Crowd) coming to stay
with us in a week's time. They'll be with us for a day, and then
we'll all set off for a week's holiday in Scarborough, followed by
a week at our house with L and the girls, then a week in Cromer,
and then L and the girls back with us in Nottingham for a few days,
as her sister is expecting her third child in Nottingham (on about
10 August).

So getting things ready, has included a huge spring-clean of all the
junk in the spare bedroom (so a lot of the junk has ended up in my
room, or has been lobbed), clearing cupboard and wardrobe space
in Mrs C's room, including lots of old family photos. These are
currently on the landing in various piles, as the box we put them
in became damp owing to a slight water leak we've had with the
recent downpours.

I put my mobile phone down in amongst all the photos, while I
was rapidly sorting them out (with view to finding the damp photos
for drying out) ... and later spent about an hour trying to find it
again. If only I'd left the phone switched on!

While Mrs C was making a large fish pie (to keep in our freezer
until our guests arrive), I spent some time sorting through piles
of unread magazines and newspapers, picking out a few articles
to put by for future reading (as I tend to do, but eventually throw
out, unread!).

Earlier in the day, we both went to Victoria Centre Market in town,
where there's an excellent stall selling bedding plants. Mrs C has
spent hours spring-cleaning the garden, throwing out loads of
border plants, but as it now looked bare, Mrs C decided that we
needed more colour back in the garden again. So we came back
from town, laden with plants. To be fair to Mrs C, the plants she
threw out were far too tall, so tall that we couldn't see our new
rose bed. The roses are thriving with all the rain we've been
having, and some are about to flower.

Today, we moved three armchairs around the house, one of
which is partially broken and is awaiting repair (when I can get
a replacement spindle). This is a comfy leather swivel armchair,
which has ended up ... in my room.  :)

Today, I've also re-hung a large mirror and one of our large
paintings, on different walls in our house, which required putting
up two heavy-duty picture hooks ... a easy DIY job really, but all
part of Mrs C's home improvements plan.

This evening we watched a couple of cop dramas on the telly ...
Case Sensitive and The Closer ... both of them were excellent.

I've been typing this on my revitalised PC ... revitalised with
Linux, I'm pleased to say. I've just got a few more bits of
software to add onto the system ... Gimp in particular.  I'm
also thinking of switching from Libre Office to Open Office, as
I prefer using fonts like Arial, Tahoma and Lucida Handwriting
Italic. However, I'll see if I can add these fonts to Libre.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home