Friday, April 06, 2012

What does he DO all day?

Hi everyone … I'm ba-a-ack again.

My heading was a query from one of my distant relatives, Stan, who was
asking about me in a rather critical manner (but not in my presence). He
thinks that I should be still be working, earning more dosh for myself
and my family, and doing some good for society in caring for those who are
sick, rather than being off work and enjoying myself. This chap must have
had a stronger work ethic than myself, as indeed did my late brother, PJ.

PJ semi-retired from being a consultant diabetologist at 60, but carried
on working part-time until he was 65. He really loved his work, and was
highly skilled. However, he died two years later, of leukaemia, so he
didn't have much time to enjoy his retirement, or spend much of his
pension. Well, he had choices … he could have retired much earlier, if he
had so wished, and spent more time with his family.

Coming back to Stan … he is a retired civil servant, now in his 80s and
in poor health. He has what's known in medical circles as a dicky heart.
And what does he do all day? He watches sport on the telly for most of
the day, while he's waited on, hand and foot, by his wife. When the
weather gets warmer, he ventures out at far as the potting shed in his
garden … for a change of scene, and probably to read a newspaper, such
as The Daily Mail. What a life!

So from time to time, Mrs C and I have a good laugh about: “What does
he do all day?”

For those of you who haven't been keeping an eye on my Flickr site …
there's a link to this in the right hand side-bar … I've been taking lots
of photos of my family, and trips to Venice, London, Shropshire,
Lancashire, Yorkshire and The Lake District. I've put 200+ photos of
Venice onto Flickr.

As most of you will be aware, we've had exceptionally warm and sunny
weather from the end of February up to the beginning of last week, when
it became wintery again. So it's been brilliant for walking outdoors and
for taking lots of snaps.

Here are a few of them …

a collage of photos of our grandchildren, which is currently on my
Desktop …

0412 collage

Grasmere in The Lake District

IMG_2793r

Wensleydale in Yorkshire

IMG_2865r

The Clock at Hampton Court Palace in London (home of King Henry the VIIIth)

IMG_2636r

Venice at dawn … a view from the Accademia Bridge, and another with
San Giorgio in the distance.

IMG_7392r

IMG_7457r

I hope you'll like them.
Talk to you soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

So that's where the cheese in Wallace and Grommit comes from!

10:58 pm  
Blogger Betsy Brock said...

I think it's great that you have been able to retire while still relatively young and able to enjoy it! So many people don't seem to time it right or fall to ill health or an untimely death way too early.

The trips sound fun!

And the grands are adorable!

12:12 am  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, Andrea. It is Wensleydale, and the cheese is delicious. I bought some the other day ... the real thing, from one of our supermarkets in Nottm, along with some other lovely British cheeses: Cheshire (which is very similar in taste and texture), Red Leicester, and a mature cheddar. I love cheese.

Hi Betsy ... yes, I feel very privileged to have all this free time, and good health to be able to enjoy it.

10:23 pm  
Anonymous lom said...

I am a house wife and get what do you do all day too, some people seem to think I sit watching tv all day, or ask do you get board with nothing to do all day. HA I would love to have time to get board.

5:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home