Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cutting back on the booze

There’s been a lot of media coverage about the damage that alcohol does
to the liver and to other parts of the body. The experts now recommend
that drinkers such as myself should have 2-3 days off drinking alcohol
each week (and definitely not to binge-drink at the weekends).

A good many years ago, I used to brew my own beer / continental pilsner …
I still have one home brew kit in my garage waiting to be used. A pint
of this stuff was very strong however (abt 5%), though I did manage to
drink a pint a day of it most days, and sometimes 2 pints if we were
having a party. I used to wake up in the mornings feeling parched … a
very dry mouth.

I cut down my drinking in more recent years, to the occasional half-pint
(abt 250ml), but then stopped drinking lager as my brewing kegs stopped
working properly. (I couldn’t be bothered to replace them.)

I am now mainly a wine-drinker … on a “good” day (especially when away
on holiday), Mrs C and I could get through a whole bottle of wine,
though usually one bottle lasts us two days. However in the past few
months, I have reduced my glass size to one of the smaller ones you
get in a pub (the 125ml size), and with the new recommendations in
mind, I now cut out drinking any wine on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
also. (Oooo-oh, isn’t he being a good boy?!).

When we were last on holiday in Germany, relatives there introduced us
to a combination of apple juice and sparkling water, which you can get
in pubs and restaurants, which tastes very much like Schloer … very nice.
So on our alcohol-free nights we’ve treated ourselves to large glasses
of this. Fresh apple and mango juice with a little sparkling water is
lovely too … it tastes really exotic … nicer than drinking cocktails,
I think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimber said...

5% is considered "strong"? In Canada, that's the norm! I love that you used to brew your own though. My former neighbour made his own beer and wine and would often reach a glass over the fence to me when I was out gardening.

Good for you for cutting back a bit. Everything in moderation is a boring adage, but a true one nonetheless.

Funny - my cousins, who lived in Germany for years - introduced me to the soda water/apple juice drink this summer too!

3:20 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your comments, Kimber ... interesting to hear about the experiences we have in common ... it's a small world, thanks to the internet and air travel.

10:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home