Monday, October 10, 2011

Dear Reader

I'm just writing to say a big thank you to my regular readership,
who have been looking at my blog from time to time, and for your
amusing and helpful comments (helpful, when I've asked for your
assistance).

I've been having a look at the stats that Blogger has been keeping
on my blog, since the beginning of time. You can access your own
stats via Blogger's Dashboard, if you didn't know, and get an idea
of page views for the past week / month, where your readers live.
Blogger also lists the websites of my most regular readers, which I
find interesting, though it confirms what I know already.

Most of my readers live in the UK, US, New Zealand, France and Canada,
but also some are based in Russia, Ukraine, Germany and The Netherlands,
which did surprise me ... perhaps they're trying to improve their
English (or trying hard to understand my odd sense of humour)?

Anyway, I won't comment on this any further, as I think it's possibly
too introspective and rather dull reading matter.

The weather today was rather cold, dark and gloomy with one light
shower of rain this morning, brightening up however this afternoon.
I was mentally geared up to get outside and sand down some paintwork
on a back window this morning, but the weather put me off.

Instead, I spent time putting the finishing touches to some photos
I've just uploaded onto Flickr (our grandchildrens' birthday party
which Mrs C and I went to yesterday), then looking at our internet
bank statements (dull, but necessary), and later on, watching an hour's
worth of DVD tuition on how to use Photoshop Elements. I re-watched
it this evening just after a few hours of watching TV with Mrs C.

I got started with Photoshop 7 back in 2004, and went on a few day
courses on how to use it. A few years later, I went on to teach it
to fellow retirees, but have now switched to using Gimp and teaching
it also.

I do prefer using Gimp to Photoshop in many ways, though in other ways
I find it less user-friendly. However, it does all the basics for you
(and it's free to download from online).

I recently joined the photography group of another U3A in the area,
and the guy running it, is teaching us how to use Photoshop Elements 9.
I've offered to do an hour's session on how to create an e-card from a
favourite photo, so I'm now having to rapidly update myself on how
to use it .... most of it is already familiar to me, but I'm having
to learn how to use its more complicated image-resizing, and how to
customise the interface to as I like it. Oh, what fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Brock said...

Well, I'm impressed that you use Gimp! I had trouble understanding it. Picnik has worked well for me. It's fun, isn't it?

12:19 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Betsy ... yes, Gimp is tricky to use ... it took me some time to get used to it. Parts of it are easy to use, such as image resizing and making selections with the Free Select tool, but other tasks such as adding a border to a photo or adding text are more difficult. I've had problems accessing Picnik, which I think is due to the poor state of my computers.

10:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home