Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Our holiday in Whitby

Hi everyone,

Sorry that it’s been a long time since my last post. Since that post,
Mrs C and I have been away on holiday … we’ve had a week in Whitby,
which was really great despite the showery weather. We were joined by
two of our girls and their partners, as you’ll see on my Flickr site
(there’s a link to this on the Rt hand side). I’ll post a few photos
below to give you an idea of what Whitby looks like (for those of you
who’ve never been there).

In the past few months, I’ve been struggling to finish off some
probate work on my late mother’s estate (she died back in 2003!) … more
on how to present all the material and to balance the Balance Sheet.
Well, to cut a long story short, an accountant friend of ours gave me
a few tips on what to do, and this very day, I’ve almost completed it
… though I’ve still got a few cheques to hand out (as soon as everyone
has agreed to my figures). I won’t bore you with any more detail about
all this, except to say that I’m feeling enormously relieved that it’s
nearly finished.
It will be a load off my mind, when it’s all done … for example, there
won’t be any more begging letters /emails from one of my relatives, as
there won’t be any more money left in the kitty to give her.

On a more cheerful topic, one of our daughters is getting married in
London this Friday … she’s the one with the two little daughters you
might have seen my photos of.

She and her partner are getting married mainly for financial reasons,
one of which is to make their children’s future more financially secure.
Only the parents and the children have been invited to the ceremony
(and to have coffee and cakes straight afterwards), but they’ve
organised large social dos for each half of their family. We are
hosting the party for our side of the family the following weekend.
L and J are paying for our local vegetarian chef to provide most of
the food, and they’ll bring some bubbly with them. We’ll provide the
rest.

I can see why a lot of couples love to splash out with expensive
weddings … the brides dressed up like meringues, the blokes looking
like penguins, and then the obligatory posh cars, marquees, and a
honeymoon in The Seychelles, etc., etc., but it’s a lot of expense
for just a few days of fun … and for a marriage that might not last
very long.

As I mentioned in a recent email, I've been asked if I'd be the
main photographer at the wedding and at the party also. I’ll aim
to take dozens of snaps, with view to getting a few good’uns ....
which is what I usually do anyway. So in a week or two’s time,
I’ll be posting some wedding and party photos onto Flickr (and
possibly onto Blogger as well). Talk to you all soon.

IMG_8427r
A view of Whitby Harbour (with the Church and the Abbey at the top of the hill in the distance).

IMG_8582r
Whitby Harbour at dusk.

IMG_8457r
Church Street in Whitby … lovely old shops and pubs lining this narrow
street.

4 Comments:

Anonymous lom said...

Those photos brought back memories; did you take a boat trip at sunset? We did it was lovely.

I agree with you about the amount of money some people spend on getting married, my sis-in-law gets married this year and the money they have spent is in my opinion ridicules, in runs into thousands, and as I keep trying to tell her it’s the marriage that counts not the wedding.

5:09 am  
Anonymous edt said...

Just looked at your wedding pics at your flickr site. Well done. Nice pics. Regards from a frosty winters morning in New Zealand. minus2c overnight.

11:08 pm  
Anonymous lom said...

Do you have the snow edt?

4:27 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Helen and Edt ... thanks for your comments. I'll post a bit more about the wedding and the party we had afterwards in a mo.
We didn't try a boat trip, Helen ... I get a bit of sea-sickness, and don't feel very safe on boats out in the sea ... so I'm not tempted to try one.
Edt ... I've seen some amazing TV coverage of the snow in NZ. I wonder how you're coping with it?

5:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home