Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Coming to our Census

Those of you who live in the UK will have completed and hopefully
posted off your Census forms by now (or perhaps have completed it online).
I think I'm correct in saying that in the US and Canada, that the last
census was done in 2010 ~ censuses are done a year before all of ours.

I thought while filling in the Census form, that the officials missed
an opportunity to find out a bit more about each household eg how many
pets (dogs/cats/hamsters) we own, how many TV sets, and how many have
a Broadband internet connection. What we're hearing from the Govt. is
that they can access such info by other means, and that also they're
proposing not to have any more Censuses as from now, so as to reduce
Govt. expenditure. I think this is a short-sighted policy.

I do a bit of family history research from time to time, and one brilliant
thing about UK Censuses from 1841 onwards, is the valuable information
they contain about who is related to whom in a household. If no more
censuses are done in the future, then this information will not be available
for future generations ... we'll go back to the Middle Ages as far as
genealogy is concerned ... where only the aristocracy were catalogued in
the records (in Burke's Peerage). There will of course be some info in
electoral rolls and Land Registry records, and on the Register of Births,
Deaths and Marriages, (and in Probate records also), but there won't be any
record of the relationships within any one household, for every decade.

I've done some research into my Nourse/Norse/Nurse family history in Ireland,
going back to around 1815 ... I've worked out that I'm one-eighth Irish
... my mum's mum was Anglo-Irish and was born in Liverpool in the 1880s.
With a name like Norse, I've probably got some Viking blood in me, by the
way. Anyway, the point of mentioning all this, is that I've collected the
names and whereabouts of a few Nourse family names - people alive in Ireland
in the early 1800s, but it's very difficult to find out how they're related
to each other as there are no census records.

Let's come to our census on this!

Top o' the morning to you!

3 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

I cant trace my family back past my great-grandfather because there aren't any records. If you look at the right hand column in this page you will see why.

I don't suppose gypsies, travellers, tinkers, and illegal immigrants will be accounted for in this census, which makes a mockery of trying to find out how many people there are in this cramped island!

11:59 pm  
Blogger Keith said...

Hmm.. that link doesn't work. Is it because I use Linux?

Anyway it's:

http://earlshilton.org.uk/neck-band/index.html

12:03 am  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your comments, Keith, and for the link to your web page about your ancestry.

10:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home