Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tenerife would be just perfect

It getting colder again here in the UK ... the road-gritting lorry sped by earlier
this evening, showering salt everywhere. We came back to a cold house on our
return from London last Sunday lunchtime ... the warmest room was 10 deg C,
a few degrees higher than outside ... Mrs C had accidentally switched off the
central heating before we left. We tend to keep the hall thermostat on at about
20 deg C, so it took the best part of 24 hours for our house to feel a lot warmer.

Mrs C prefers living in much colder rooms than I do ... she tends to switch off
the central heating at lunchtime, so by early evening I've put on lots of extra layers, extra vest, jumpers, fleece jacket, a thick dressing gown, high
tog-factor socks and sometimes a woolly hat. I've recently said all this before,
but I'm mentioning it again for any new readers.

A few years ago, I decided to sleep apart from her, as she prefers to sleep with only a cotton sheet over her, and with the bedroom windows open all night. I
think she'd feel at home living in an igloo or in a morgue. If I were a bird,
I'd migrate south in the winters, for some warmth - Tenerife would be just
perfect.

Another reason for sleeping apart, is that I tend to snore badly at night.
Mrs C had often complained about my snoring ... she would give be a hard poke
in the ribs from time to time, to wake me up. So we both sleep a lot better
now, by sleeping in separate bedrooms.

I've mentioned before that we look after our grandchildren A and JJ on alternate
Fridays. Well, this Friday, we've got them for the entire weekend as well, as
their mum and dad are having a short break in New York. They'll be back by
breakfast-time on Monday.

As you can imagine, we have mixed feelings about looking after the children for
a bit more than three days, but then we managed to look after 4 of our own and
2 nieces also when our kids were little ...there were six girls and 4 adults
in the house from 1984 to about 2000 ... I'll stop there as it's a long story.
I'm going off to bed with my hot water bottle.

As it turned out, we only had the children for one night (which went very well),
the reason being that their parents' flight to New York had been cancelled,
owing to bad snow at the JFK(?) Airport. (They arrived at Birmingham Airport
from Nottingham at 6am, only to find out that their plane never set off from
NY ... they spent the rest of the day having fun in Nottingham).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home