Monday, November 08, 2010

Fanastic fireworks display in Nottingham


... as if.

I stood around on a cold November Saturday evening, waiting for the heavens
to light up, and there was bugger-all. (Pls excuse the bad language).

There were a few smaller displays, and after 30 minutes of standing around, I
motored off to be nearer one of them, only to find it had finished, and to see
hordes of people streaming back to their cars (like after a football match).
All this reminds me of a Biblical joke ... "And it came to pass ....
...... that nothing happened!".

Well I warn you that the joke was biblical.

Over the weekend, I cooked a delicious potato dish in our Remosksa (which is
a small electric cooker).


The recipe is based on one that Mrs C found in a Cranks (veggie) recipe book ...

... sliced potato (1kg), red onion, tomato, & garlic cloves, with very light covering of olive oil, S & P, dried basil & a few tsps of Balsamic vinegar,
baked in the Remoska for 60 mins ... delicious.

BTW, I covered the veg for 30mins with a circle of baking parchment paper,
to stop any burning of the top veg. This amount lasted the two of us two
days. On Day 1, we had a mushroom omelette and green veg with this. On Day 2,
we re-heated the potato for 15 mins, and then cooked some fresh haddock
(lightly oiled & seasoned) on top of the potato for 8 mins (turning the
fish over once).... fabulous.

Today, I did a 40 minute uphill walk through wind and rain to see my dentist.
I arrived feeling very wet (despite using my brolly). On the way there, I
managed to tread in some doggy-doo, which was hidden under some soggy leaves.
You probably know the feeling when you've trodden in some when it's been
raining ... your foot tends to slither along the pavement. Fortunately I was
wearing a very old pair of shoes .. the tread had been worn away .... so
the cleaning up job was very easy.

I had booked an early appointment to see my dentist as I'd lost one of my
fillings (lower left canine) ... it had shattered while munching my way
through an organic oatcake (with a bit of cheese on top) ... I crunched on
a bit of organic grit within the biscuit. Oh the joys of eating such
wholesome food, instead of filling up on highly refined stuff.

Much to my surprise, my dentist very kindly found time to do a dental check
and a scale & polish, all for the standard fee of £45.60 (not bad pay for
about 20 minutes work, I thought to myself ... with hindsight I should have
trained as a dentist ... far less to learn and keep up to date with, and
much better working hours)

.... I'm having a good ramble today.

After the dentist, I did a home visit to a friend who lives nearby, for his
biennial ear syringing ... his ears get completely blocked with wax every now
and then, much to his wife's annoyance as when watching TV, he has to have
the volume turned up to an eardrum-shattering level. When I'd successfully
shifted some of his earwax, he asked me not to shout as loud, as he said
he wasn't that deaf.

(My ears do block up with wax occasionally, but this happens about once every
six or seven years). I also sorted out a minor computer problem they were having,
after which I bussed it into town to buy a replacement electric coffee grinder
(how decadent is that?), and some green veg for tonight's meal.

We had more roasted veg this evening, together with a beanburger, cottage
cheese and some green veg as well ... our usual veggie mountain... followed
by posting this onto Blogger and watching some TV. The funniest programme on
was "The Good Life", re-enacted by Sue Perkins (comedienne) and Giles Coren
(foodie journalist)... I'm looking forward to seeing the next in the series.

"The Good Life" was one of the best BBC comedies of the Seventies ... here's
a link to one article on the series, if you never saw it ...
Mrs C and I did a bit of The Good Life in the Eighties, as I've mentioned in
previous posts, so we enjoyed seeing Sue and Giles getting to grips with
catching chickens and milking a goat, plus turning over a suburban garden to
growing some veg and fruit.


OpenID justathoughtmyblog said...

We did the same thing with the fireworks. We went to the top of Clent hills and waited. We gave up after an hour!

9:02 AM  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your comment, Helen ... perhaps the recession is biting? In some ways, I'm glad that there are fewer fireworks ... our cats are really terrified by them, and won't go outside at all.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home