Sunday, August 22, 2010

Feeling under pressure

Mrs C and I had planned to spend a week in London with our daughter L and
her family, but this was cut short by my coming back to Nottingham for a
hospital clinic appointment last Monday. L and her children came back to
Nottingham with us, so we've been very busy with them all in the past
week. In addition we had a full day with our other 2 grandchildren on
Friday, which was fun but exhausting. L set off for home mid-afternoon
yesterday, so we're back to our usual much quieter life at present.

My hospital visit went well ~ the consultant surgeon was very friendly
and informative. He's put me on the waiting list for an endoscopy in
2-3 weeks' time (to check me out for stomach acid reflux, ulceration or
possibly CA). I'm currently on omeprazole (Losec), which helps ease my
symptoms - he thinks I'll be on this long-term.

So as the Lord God said unto Moses: "Keep taking the tablets!"
(I hope God has a GSOH).

I think a lot of my symptoms are stress-related - I got similar problems
from time to time working as a family doctor when working under a lot of
pressure ... but nothing like the pressure of "Celebrity Masterchef",
where three finalists have been competing for "Masterchef of the Year"
in the past week or so. One of their amazing achievements was to impress
a group of top UK chefs, who share eight Michelin stars between them ...
for three amateurs to do that! Phenomenal!

For UK readers, here is a link to a few episodes of the show.

I found parts of these programmes too stressful to watch ... I had to
leave the room for several minutes at a time, and go and do something else!
"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." ... or in my case,
the living room. :)

4 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

Hi
See you are only just down the road! Re stress, i had regular migraine for years but not now much, no teaching! Just been in hospital for internal bleeding. My doc, god forbid said he could have diagnosed it over the phone, said it was an ear infection! The joys of getting old. hope all goes well. Will be back. Mondays post is a moanna so some wont like it. Post about every five days.

9:07 am  
Blogger Rog said...

I think a lot of the problems on Masterchef were Sweat related. Plus secondary infection through the medium of a gigantic moustache.

12:29 pm  
Blogger Keith said...

As far as I'm concerned there is only one masterchef; me!

Honestly, I can't understand you getting stressed about a cookery programme. (No, I haven't watched it. Haven't got a tele. Prefer to read instead.)

Now, I would get stressed out over watching an operation. The last time I watched one many years ago I was violently sick! Over over the dog in fact! He wasn't very happy about that.

9:42 am  
Blogger justin said...

Ken: thanks for dropping by & for your comments.
Rog: I think everyone on Masterchef should have pinned Dick to the floor, and then shaved off all that hair. Not very hygienic, if he were to taste his soups and sauces with the same spoon.
Keith: I think Masterchef bases its popularity on creating high amounts of stress for its contestants. When you see what happens in a busy restaurant behind the scenes, we can see that it's very true to life. We tend to "fast-forward" over the stressful bits. :)
Mrs C has often said she could manage without a telly (and just watch the occasional DVD film on our laptop, listen to the radio and read some books). However, I'm a bit of a telly addict.
As regards operations, I feels nauseous watching eye ops!

6:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home