Friday, January 15, 2010

Just plain daft!

I was amused by Pete’s recent comment (in his Naked Blog site) that
it’s a “strange new world, drinking Australian wine, watching Chinese
clothes going round in a German washer”.

To which I’ll add that I find it odd that I look at a Japanese telly
(with a whole array of foreign peripherals), and that I type on a
Microsoft keyboard, made in China, alongside a mixed nationality PC
tower (Fujitsu-Siemens), and an Acer monitor (made in China again).

Earlier in the day, I drank a few large mugs of Twinings tea (my own
blend of Darjeeling and English Breakfast tea) and had a cup of lovely
coffee (Lidl’s Arabica coffee sourced in Guatemala, Kenya and Columbia).

Most of our food is from the UK, and most of our veg is organic, but
some other stuff eg a lot of our fresh fruit and broccoli is sourced
from abroad.

Tonight we treated ourselves and our visitors to a Moroccan-style
veggie take-away, from Café Nomad in Nottingham, and drank some red
wine that was all the way from Chile.

Oh, and I drive a beautiful red Renault Espace Dynamique 120 cdi,
that’s more than 5 years old ... made of course, in France.

So not a lot of British-made stuff there, but the Brits are busy
selling and servicing all these goods.

Something I find very strange, is that those of us who are
photographers can spend lots of money buying digital cameras,
spending £500 plus for semi-professional cameras.

We strive for really lovely compositions and highly detailed shots ...

but then ... we reduce the size and quality of these photos down to
about 100 – 200kb each, for viewing on Flickr websites and the like.

If the little Martians in the Cadbury Smash adverts could see all
this, they’d fall about, laughing their heads off.

2 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Brock said...

Oh, isn't this the truth! Very clever post, Justin!

I'm quite fond of Twinings Darjeeling tea!

7:24 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your kind remarks, Betsy. More on Twinings teas in my next post, as you'll see.

10:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home