Tuesday, January 05, 2010

In the bleak midwinter, Frosty wind made moan …

Our wintry weather continues to sweep across the UK, with snow drifts
of about 30cm expected in parts of the UK in the next 24 hours. Those
of you who are here will know this. They say we can expect the worst
weather here since 1981.

I recall that we had a prolonged freeze in the early 80s that lasted
well into February. There was a steep path down from our house to the
roadside, which I kept well swept and gritted, but even so it was
slippery at times. Not very nice.

Looking outside my window, I can see that our garden is carpetted with
a gorgeous thick layer of fresh snow – it looks very pretty, half-lit
by the street lighting. If the sun comes out in the next few days, I’ll
head off out with my camera to capture some snow scenes.

I’ve taken lots of piccies of our grandchildren while they were here
with us. Here are a few of the many I took (there are more on my Flickr
site)


IMG_3117min

IMG_3179min

IMG_3165min

Oh, and here’s a photo of a wonderful puddy that two of our relatives
made, based on one of Jamie Oliver’s recipes. (There’s fruit and ice-cream
inside the cake).


IMG_3157min

Finally, I’ll mention my one and only New Year’s Resolution, which is to
sort out and to keep on top of all my paperwork. This is all over the place,
thanks to laziness on my part, and successive upheavals / re-organisations
around the house in the past few months.

With the date January 31 looming, (the date when all online tax returns have
to be in), I must get on with sorting out my piles of paper and the tax forms.

My next post will be in about a week, when everything is sorted.
Talk to you soon.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

I really do wish now that I hadn't made that comment about Slayer's fur and how thick it was. It's been horrible around here today, and its spreading south with another wave due to sweep across around Thursday, and even more at the weekend. The long range forecast now into February is even worse! It turns out that what Slayer instinctively knew, we are only just beginning to realise.

12:54 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Kevin ~ yes, you're right about our cat's fur coat ... it is thicker than usual, and her sister's is even thicker ... I wasn't upset in any way about your comment, by the way. Their coats thicken in the winter-time, and then slim down in time for our boiling hot summers (as if!).

11:38 pm  
Blogger Kimber said...

Snow! In your part of the world! Fabulous!

I hear all the oranges in Florida have frozen, so you're not alone in unseasonal temperatures. As for us, we've had an unusually mild winter...which makes me sad. I love snow.

That pudding looks TO DIE FOR. Mmmmm.

And may I say that your grandbabies have the most striking eyes? Wow.

2:53 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Kimber ~ thanks for dropping by. I like snow too, but just to look at. I don't like extremes of cold or heat.
As for the eyes, I think they take after their mums, and my wife, Mrs C ... all of them are lovely to look at.

12:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home