Friday, December 04, 2009

Two of our grandchildren stayed with us today.

Here are a couple of photos of Little A and her brother Little J …

IMG_2941min

IMG_2950min

Mrs C and I look after them most Fridays at our house. When Mrs C opened
the front door on their arrival, A said: “It’s lubbly to see you, Grandma!”
… and then ran upstairs to look for some Smarties in the kitchen cupboard …
we usually put a few chocolate treats for her in the cupboard. In fact she
had quite a few chocolate treats today, as she’s been unwell most of this
week with the usual cough and cold bug that’s always going around, and is
not eating much proper food.

Her brother J has not been well either. His mum noticed pus oozing out of
his right ear this morning (which means he’s got an middle ear infection
and a perforated ear drum), in addition to his cold and cough. His GP has
prescribed some amoxicillin for him this morning, but he looked fairly well
despite all this.

I’ve had a headcold and persisting mild sinusitis for about 2 months now …
it varies from day to day … just when I think my cold is drying up for good,
it’s back the next day in glorious technicolour. I’ll spare you any more
detail, just in case you’re eating at the moment. Otherwise, I’m feeling
tickety-boo.

I’m amazed that our cats don’t catch bugs like this, considering that I
do breathe over them and stroke them every day. But then I hear on the
news that germs tend not to cross over to other species … which make me
wonder why this is so? A virus should be able to invade and multiply in
any large animal, shouldn’t it? So why don’t cats get our awful colds?
Perhaps they’ve got some inbuilt (genetic) immunity?

PS ... one useless but funny fact for you ... Nottingham was called
Snottingham back in Anglo-Saxon times ... it was where the Snots lived.
The letter "S" was dropped by the Normans. This change was fiercely
resisted by the people of Scunthorpe, allegedly (this is a recycled joke
from the panel game show: I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue.)

PPS ... yes, I've changed the background colour back to white.
I got bored with the yellow.

4 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

Bad colds here too.

But what cute children! Those photographs are lovely.

1:56 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your appreciative comments, Jo(e) ... and for following my blog.

11:14 pm  
Anonymous lom said...

For one minute there I nearly believed your story about Snottingham

10:14 am  
Blogger justin said...

The Snottingham bit is true, Helen. :)

8:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home