Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year, everyone

Here I am, sitting at my computer, typing this. It's 11.20 in the evening,
just before the start of the New Year.

Everyone else in the house has gone to bed early. We had a mini-celebration
earlier this evening, drinking some excellent Cava (just as good as champagne
I think, for a fraction of the price ... I think champers is an over-rated
drink, anyway) ... and eating some Thornton's chocs. The latter were a
mixture of milk and dark chocolate ... I prefer the less sweet, darker
chocolate, though I can't eat a lot of it. We watched the end of the
second episode of "Cranford" with our daughter L ... I felt close to tears
in parts of this, when various storylines were concluded happily. "Tears of
joy" in fact. This phrase seems to be really illogical .... why do people
cry when something really good happens (following periods of misery or
hardship)?

Our neice Z and her 4 year old son came round to see us yesterday evening,
for a chat. Z told us a funny story about her son, who was getting very
excited at the prospect of Santa coming on Christmas Eve. It's the one
evening in the entire year, when he's keen to get to bed early ... he
announced to his mum and dad: "I want to go to bed now. I feeling sweepy."

9 Comments:

Anonymous edt said...

Happy new Year to you and yours. It's 3:34pm in the afternoon New years day, about to put a roast dinner in the oven. Sunny 25C with wind getting up. CHEERS

2:36 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Justin, and the the family. Like yourself I went to early.

Could never see what the fuss is about, it's just a another night to me. I think it's just an excuse for people to get bladdered, not that the "yoofs" around here need one, they get drunk every night!

10:08 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Edt and Keith. Thanks for your kind thoughts.
"The others" went to bed early tonight (8.30pm), so after washing up some pots, I've been looking at my latest photos.
Flickr is out of action at the moment, so I'm hoping to upload a selection of them tomorrow morning.

10:28 pm  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

Multitudinous felicitations!

10:57 pm  
Anonymous edt said...

Have just been reading about Cava here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cava#Cava

We occasionally have sparkeling wine here in NZ, usually brut methode champenoise, much cheaper than champagne though our preference is for a good supermarket savignon blanc

2:00 am  
Blogger justin said...

Edt: I agree with you about preferring a good white wine(sauvignon blanc or chardonnay). I rate NZ white wines very highly, though we tend to buy less expensive white wines from Australian, Chile or S. Africa.

11:48 pm  
Blogger Kimber said...

I am slightly horrified that your family went to bed early on New Year's Eve!!! GASP! That is a pretty sacred night for me. I have never once gone to bed before seeing in the new year (at least, not since I was 12). There's something so symbolic to me about watching the clock tick down the final seconds of the old year, pouring the champers (or cava, which I agree is excellent as well), and opening wide the front door to "let the new year in."

But that's just me. (0:

2:55 am  
Blogger Kimber said...

PS; have you tried Prosecco?

2:56 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Kimber. Yes, I know we are a couple of killjoys, but when you get to our age .... (that's no excuse really).

12:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home