Monday, December 28, 2009

Child's play

Most of you will have seen notices just outside children’s playgrounds
saying: “Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times”, which
shifts the responsibility for any accident happening onto the adult
(unless the equipment is faulty).

I saw one of these notices up at one of the holiday sites we visited
last summer, and I thought at the time, that someone could write
these words underneath: “Adults must be accompanied by a child at all
times”.

Today we went on a family outing to a children’s “soft play centre”
for a bit of fun. This was our second visit to Denz’s play centre in
Beeston.

In our party were Mrs C and myself, three of our daughters, two
partners and our four grandchildren. Adults can get in free of charge,
which I think is amazing ~ we were charged over £6 each at a London
play centre we visited recently). I noticed that there were more adults
than children in the centre this morning ... everyone having drinks and
snacks.

I spent a fair amount of time with the tots in a special area for them,
while Mrs C and the other adults took it in turns to run around with
the older children, scrambling through what looked like an army assault
course in parts. We returned home about 3 hours later.

We spent the afternoon having more drinks and nibbles, sitting around
chatting and entertaining the little ones. Later on, after the main meal
and getting the children off to bed, we watched part one of the BBC
Cranford” drama (Series 2) … reviewed here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next door to me is the "Plough" pub, then a row of terraced houses, then a childrens play centre called "Scallywags", and then the house when the fake SAS hero lives!

When Scallywags is in full swing, and "The Plough" is open there is nowhere for me to park! The whole street is choked up with cars! Grump, grump. . . .

12:09 am  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

The one thing that caught my eye was only on the second line, viz "“Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times”".

Now around here the adults are by far the greater misdemeanour's of unsociable behaviour, and the kids are only looking up to their elder peers to give them clues as to how they themselves can create .......!

Keith, you should try living in an urban village where every house here has at least a double garage and a U shaped driveway, and each household has two 4x4's, a large runabout hatchback, and an upmarket sports. And they park the lot on the road/pavement outside 'cos some inconsiderate person up the street keeps insisting on parking his car blocking their entrance because some old lady parks her disabled car for hours on end blocking his house's driveway!

Anyway! Yes I also watched Cranford, it was very good (seemed familiar though, was it a repeat?), yet somehow to me it seems to have lost some of it's original intrigue and sparkle. Or maybe it's just me?
Certainly I've enjoyed the 'Victorian Christmas' series, it reminded me so much of the stories that my father used to tell us kids about his grandmother's cooking on/in a 'Range' oven especially around Xmas.

12:07 am  
Anonymous edt said...

You have 2 emails...regards

2:24 am  
Blogger justin said...

Keith: how annoying not to be able to park your car. I can understand how people get very angry when they can't park near their own house (for other car users taking up the space). You and your neighbours could petition your council for "residents only" car parking spaces. This works too well in parts of London - I have to park some distance away from relatives I'm visiting, as parking space is very limited, and has to be paid for (if you're not a resident).

Kevin: the two episodes of Cranford that have just been shown on BBC 1, are a sequel to the first series shown on the Beeb, a year or so ago. Mrs C and I have just watched the second episode ... I was close to tears in parts of it (tears of joy??).

Edt: thanks for your helpful emails about restoring photos on my defunct memory card. I'll look into this very soon.

11:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home