Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Any old veg soup



I made some very simple soup this morning from some assorted veg, just
waiting to be used up ... a small bag of shallot onions, two leeks, a squash,
one medium-sized potato, 3 cloves of garlic and some boiling water, all
pressure-cooked for 10 minutes and just left to cool in the pressure cooker
for another 5 mins or so. Then all blended up with a couple of organic veggie
stock cubes. Very nice with some home-made bread rolls.

Mrs C suggested adding a little ground ginger and cumin to the remainder,
pictured above, which we'll have tomorrow. Mmmm.

Our ancestors (mine were working class) probably made soup in a similar way,
just boiling up anything they managed to get their hands on. No refined
vegetable oils for them, though they might have used some butter or other
animal fat for frying stuff up in.

BTW, it tastes better than it looks. :)

.........................................................................


This evening, I cooked a few veggie sausages in our Remoska, along with a
mountain of veg ~ swede and potato mash, peas, cabbage, brocolli and sprouts.

Mrs C and I really love our veg ... in fact it's becoming a serious addiction.

We pine for veg when we're away on holiday abroad, when getting hold of
fresh veg can be problematic. Thinking about what my sister and her French
husband eat (in France), their veg consists of a bowl of a few lettuce leaves,
amd a few slices of tomato, all doused in vinaigrette ... very tasty but
somewhat lacking for us.

I reckon I should go along to Veggies Anonymous (aka the local Allotment
Gardeners' Association) ...

"Hello everyone. My name's Justin and I'm addicted to eating veg."

(Huge round of applause from everyone in the audience).

3 Comments:

Blogger jo(e) said...

Mmmm. I love homemade soup.

6:06 pm  
Blogger Betsy Brock said...

I love soup! I didn't know you are a cook, Justin! I make soup the same way...just start throwing in what you have and adjust the seasoning as you go! Yum!

3:30 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Jo(e) and Betsy ... thanks for your comments. I've been cooking mainly vegetarian food on and off most of my married life ... more so since I took early retirement at age 53, and Mrs C becoming more busy with her counselling work. We tend to eat fairly simple dishes ~ we don't go for meals that take hours to prepare or eat anything with rich creamy sauces. The most time consuming things I/we make are pizzas, risottos, & stir fries.

10:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home