Thursday, October 15, 2009

Nearly finished


(click on pic to see a larger version)


It's not a work of art, but you're looking at my nearly completed shelving
inside one of our bedroom wardrobes. It's taken me about 2 months to do
all this, on and off. I spent 7 hours yesterday, screwing in the shelf
supports and then sawing up the three wooden shelves (and edging). I used
some wood glue, in places for additional bonding. I'm pleased to say that
all the wood used was recycled, except for the upright piece of plywood,
the middle shelf, the edging and the supports. I think the entire job
would have taken a joiner about a day and a half to do, but all the wood
would have been brand new, and the job would have cost us a few hundred
pounds. The safe was fitted by a professional, by the way ... you'd need
a JCB to remove it (that is if you were desperate to read my autobiography,
my will, and a few family history documents). :)

Which reminds me of a funny story about a neighbour's safe being burgled
... this elderly neighbour lived in a huge Edwardian detached house, next
to my parents' house in Leeds. In conversation with him one day, about
house-break-ins, he told me that some burglars had managed to steal his
safe, which weighed a ton. All that was inside it, was his golf cap.

5 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Brock said...

I'm very impressed! The shelving looks really great! I'm getting ready to strip wallpaper and repaint a couple of rooms and our back hallway. At least there isn't any construction involved! :)

Funny story about the burglars! I'm guessing that was his most favorite golf cap! ha!

12:15 am  
Anonymous lom said...

Who's a clever sole then

12:56 pm  
Blogger Keith said...

Do you know anybody who wants to buy a golf cap? 20p?

11:55 pm  
Blogger Kimber said...

Ha! Love the golf cap story. Love karma. And love your shelving unit! Wish you lived closer as I would hire you in a minute to do one for my daughter's closet.

And what's this about an autobiography??? Do tell!

10:53 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I can't say that I'd wish to repeat the carpentry job ... I think we'd pay for professional help if Mrs C wanted another one. However, it does give me a sense of achievement & satisfaction ... I was useless at woodwork at school.

As for the autobiography, Kimber, it's not very interesting. Just som recollections built around all our family house moves and various schools I went to, plus some more recent family stuff. Nothing as detailed as what I've written on this blogsite.

9:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home