Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A little tinkle of bells

Mrs C and her mobile are usually inseparable, but not so yesterday,
when I sent her one of my rare text messages to say that I'd bought
a load of strawberries and raspberries. She'd gone out to meet up
with a couple of friends for lunch ... aren't women civilised,
compared with blokes?

Anyway, I'd just got back home with some shopping, switched my mobile
on and sent her the text. An instant later, I heard a familiar Nokia
chime, from my mobile I thought initially. I turned round and saw
Mrs C's mobile on the kitchen surface (being charged up).

Curses!

I also came home yesterday with a huge piece of second-hand kitchen
surface, which a timber merchant very kindly gave me free of charge.
Getting it into the middle part of the car (and out again), was
diffficult ... as it was very heavy and when up-ended it reached my
chin.

I'm building a plinth to go inside the end of our study/small bedroom
wardrobe, on top of which we'll have a small safe fitted, and then
I'll build a shelving unit around that. This will help me tidy up all
the clutter from the bedroom floor and surfaces, and basically hide
it all from view (never to be seen again).

I measured up the floor area for this plinth (after removing some
carpet), only to find that all the sides of my "rectangle" were
unequal and set at odd angles. Mrs C suggested using newspaper to
create a template for the cut-out, which worked well, apart from
the fact that I've cut one of the sides a bit too wide to fit the
space.

It's hard work sawing through a hefty piece of worktop. So I'm thinking
of buying a circular saw tomorrow, to make the whole job a lot easier.

My next post will be from Casualty at the Queens Medical Centre.

4 Comments:

Blogger Betsy Brock said...

Your bring home fruit and do handyman projects around the house? Would Mrs. C mind if I borrowed you when that shelving unit is finished? ;)

3:22 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Betsy ... sorry to disappoint you, but I'm pretty useless when it comes to DIY stuff around the house.

DIY should be renamed as DYI ... do yourself in. :)

7:25 am  
Blogger Kimber said...

I'm impressed! Actually, I'm not sure what impresses me more...the loads of berries or your use of the word plinth.

7:55 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Kimber ... I'm prone to using rather flowery language to describe things, much to the amusement of Mrs C. When our cat was climbing into the kitchen through the top small window, while I was cooking the evening meal, I shouted out to our girls: "Will someone extricate Franny from the window situation!" :)

10:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home