Friday, August 14, 2009

Great TV

Mrs C and I watched some excellent TV programmes in the past few days,
including …

"Who do you think you are" with Kim Cattrall (of Sex in the City fame)
making an emotional journey, researching what happened to her maternal
grandfather, who abandoned his wife and 3 young children over 60 yrs ago.
He took off one day, all of a sudden, leaving them to fend for
themselves.

Single-Handed” … a gritty cop drama, filmed on location in Ireland.
We watched part 2 on catch-up last night.

If you’d like to see it, watch Part One first of all, to get a taste
of what’s going on between father, Gerry Driscoll, and his son, Jack.

One of my favourite TV comedy shows is “Mock The Week”. Unfortunately
it’s no longer available on BBC I-Player. I think you can watch it on
catch-up on Virgin Media TV for a seven-day period after each broadcast,
which I’m hoping to do tonight (as one of our nieces dropped in to see
us last night while the show was on). It’s also repeated on the telly
one night in the week.

Another TV series we're watching is Economy Gastronomy ... it's great to
see TV chefs creating tasty food that doesn't cost too much.

A couple of recipes we fancy doing (from this week's show, Episode 2) ....

Spicy chicken thighs with byriani
(we'd use Quorn chunks instead of chicken ... the byriani looks brilliant)

Chocolate brownies with soft centres ... yummy.

I’ve been typing all this on a Word document this morning … I’d got to
the end of my first bit on Kim Cattrall, when Windows Vista shut down
my computer without any warning for about 5 minutes to do one of its
updates. Bloody annoying. Vista didn’t reinstate my document for me,
so I had to start again.

I was chatting about this with other folk yesterday, and one of my
friends pointed out that this doesn’t happen with Windows XP … in XP,
you get some warning, and you’re able to postpone the updating process.

WHY? WHY? WHY ... do you do this in Vista, Messrs Microsoft?

8 Comments:

Blogger Kimber said...

Ugh. Vista. 'Nuff said.

7:53 am  
Blogger Max said...

It's criminal that on Wednesdays they show Who Do You Think You Are, Dragon's Dean and Big Brother all at the same time!

Thank god for PVRs and Channel 4+1.

I recorded the former but haven't seen it yet. I know she's a Hollywood star (loved her in Porky's) but her roots were in Liverpool, I think. So I'll watch that tomorrow on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

9:54 pm  
Blogger Max said...

Dragon's Dean? You know what I mean.

9:55 pm  
Blogger Max said...

MS Word autosaves. I think if you go to Start - Run - and type %temp% enter - you might see a DOC file, but anyway it's too late now.

9:58 pm  
Blogger justin said...

TVM, Max ... I'll try that next time, to see if MS Word autosaves.
And, yes, Kim Cattrall is gorgeous.

Hi Kimber ~ I've got both Vista and XP on my machines. I use Vista mainly for working on my photos, and it's brilliant in this respect.

10:41 pm  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

Exactly as above. Forgotten myself the exact option but it's the one that downloads but allows you to chose when to install (though it nags you like mad 'till you do!).

Have you considered upgrading to Windows 7 on it's release?

Considered opinion is that if you're running XP then stay with it, but if you're running Vista then upgrade to '7' as fast as you can!

My opinion (from supporting MS products for an income) is that the Microsoft total disasters were DOS 5, Windows 95, Windows ME, and Windows Vista. But note that all these were superseded by far superior products.

Not so sure about the autosave in Word as it would have been an orderly shutdown and restart (and not a crash) and hence would only bring back the last Saved version of the doc. if there was one.

Might be worth checking the autosave options in Word (i.e. to save Complete doc). But as I don't trust computers anyway I always do Ctrl S during my 'thinking time' or whenever I make a significant change to the doc.

10:16 pm  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

Also been watching Economy Gastronomy myself - very enlightening. Problem is that progs like this are always centred on family units with kids.

Personally I'd like to see them give ideas for single people living alone. Wastage of food, especially of fresh produce, can be very high for this increasing number of people of all ages.

Perhaps these TV food programs should be pressing for sales of "half the amount at half the price"?

10:42 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Pseudonymph ... thanks for dropping in and for your helpful comments.
Thanks for your comments, also, Kevin. As regards cooking for one person, I'm not so good at cooking for myself when Mrs C is away. I'm happy to cook mountains of food for when there are two or more people around, but I get lazy when it's just me in the house.... I tend to snack on bread & cheese, and left-overs in the fridge. :)

10:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home