Sunday, August 23, 2009

Getting sharper images in Blogger

I’ve been wondering how come photos in Flickr are so sharp. I googled
this topic and found an interesting article by Michael Zhang.

When you downsize an image for internet use, it’s obvious that you’ll
lose some pixels during the process and so you'll lose some quality in
your image. However, Flickr sharpens up low-resolution images for you.

I’ve been amazed by the sharpness and high quality of Jo(e)’s photos
on her blog … just look at two of the photos on her current page …
the pianist in August 20th’s post and the basket of peaches in
August 17th’s … both are phenomenal (as most of her photos are).
A right mouse click on one of her photos shows that the photos are
from her Flickr site.

Here’s how to upload your pics from Flickr to Blogger …

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookwood/2835450363/

I’ve also been looking at an article, on how to get sharper pics
with your camera, which you might like to look at.


So I thought I'd have go at uploading three photos onto my Flickr
site (click on the sunflowers on the RHS). These are photos of my
granddaughter Little A, when she was younger. "Acopy1" is the
result of uploading my original photo (4MB in size), as suggested
by Kevin. You'll see that the images look great when enlarged.
The other two are smaller versions (500x333px), the second of which
has been sharpened slightly in Gimp.

I'll upload Acopy3 straight into Blogger to see what this looks like
(uploaded as the largest version)...



I think you'll agree with me, that this looks fuzzy compared with the
photo (Acopy3) on my Flickr site.

Next up, the same, but this one is via Flickr (500x333px size)...



Next, the same, but digitally enhanced in Gimp.
(This is free photo-editing software ~ Filter>Enhance>Unsharp Mask)



Not so nice, I think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

I still can't draw any conclusions from this photo quality debate, even though I've done a lot of comparisons including further experimenting myself.

But certainly, to me leastways, the enhancement in your third photo there has changed a shadow into a facial blush.

It's probable that I don't like processing of electronic images anyway as they often end up appearing 'plastic', even though I've often unsuccessfully tried it myself to improve my poorer photo's. And 'red eye' removal has never worked for me - they always end up with 'Mona Lisa eyes'!

And as for the modern day practice of 'air brushing'.....Well!!!!

9:21 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, I agree with you, Kevin. The digital enhancement in the 3rd photo wasn't necessary, and made her face redder than it was.

9:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home