Monday, July 27, 2009

Getting back to normal

OMG - what a hectic week Mrs C and I have just had, with one
of our daughters here for 8 days with her two children (under
3 yrs of age), and then with one of our neices too, for a
few days. Mrs C had taken a week off work, to spend time with
them all, but now she's feeling exhausted.

And another OMG ... yesterday evening, I had a search on both of
our computers, to check our flights to Malaga (this September) ,
only to find that I'd never got round to booking them!

So I've quickly booked flights for both of us with BMI Baby,
flying from East Midlands Airport. We might have got cheaper
flights with Ryanair, but Ryanair's flight times didn't match
those of other family members we're meeting up with, at Malaga
Airport (they are flying in from Gatwick). Yes, it will be
another relaxing holiday, en famille.

A couple of moans about booking flights online ... the airline
companies hook you into booking with them, with the promise of
of cheap fares ... and then you get hit by various extras, such
as an extra £30 each, for taking a suitcase and for not checking
in online. The second moan ... I couldn't proceed with the online
booking without giving BMIB my mobile phone number ... no mobile
phone = no online booking with BMIB. This should be optional, not
mandatory. I use my mobile phone about once a week (it's switched
off the rest of the time ... not like Mrs C's, which is the
hotline to family & friends).

I've been busy painting the celing of the study/third bedroom/my
den, today, with brilliant white matt paint. Just a couple of walls
left to do (with barley white paint), and the skirtings & window-
ledge to do in white gloss. I took nearly everything out of this
room for our electrician to install a couple of extra power points,
so it's an ideal opportunity to paint the entire room, before all
the junk goes back in. As regards the junk, fairly usable junk is
going back in, older junk will go in the loft-space, and the rest,
in the bin. So, I'm having a good sort-out, which is a rare event.

5 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

Mobile phones are a bloody scourge! I haven't got one. I did have, and gave my number to all my friends; both of them, but they never called me so in the end I chucked into the wheelie bin (Weelie!). Big mistake.

I recently applied for Council tax Benefit, cos I'm a poor pensioner, and the 40 page application form was returned to me because I hadn't filled it in correctly. I hadn't filled in the sections stating how much rent I received from my estates abroad (!) or what my nationality was (I put "English" which was unacceptable), and I hadn't put my mobile phone number in!

I resolved the first two, and stated that I didn't have a mobile.

The form came back again stating that I MUST put my mobile number in, otherwise I would lose benefit.
The matter is still unresolved after several months! Aresoles!

12:39 am  
Anonymous lom said...

This is becoming more Of a problem with everything. I do have a mobile but there are only 5 people who know the number, as it is for emergences. I too have had to fill in forms and have been asked for a mobile number and when I say I don’t have one but you can ring the home phone there’s a answer machine if I am not in they take the hump. The other thing is email address, I always say I don’t have one of them either.

6:07 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi, you two. Yes, mobiles are a pain in the arse, except in the rare emergency, say when the car's broken down. May I make a suggestion, Keith, that you borrow a friend/relative's mobile phone number... that might satisfy officialdom. I don't usually give out personal info like this to any organisation.

8:23 pm  
Blogger Kimber said...

Welcome back! Sounds like you need a vacation from your vacation, you poor fellow.

If you think cell phones are a pain, you should try a wretched blackberry...

5:03 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Kimber ~ good to hear from you again. Well, I'm on holiday now, being retired. I find going away on holiday fairly stressful.
I love blackberries ~ especially when cooked with a little apple and sugar. :)

5:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home