Sunday, May 31, 2009

The WolframAlpha search engine

A friend of mine asked me if I knew anything about this new search
engine, which I've just had a look at via Google.

It is truly amazing.

It's a "computational-knowledge" search engine, and it's free to use.
You don't have to download anything (or register online with it).

Here is a link to an online demo, given by Stephen Wolfram.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/screencast/introducingwolframalpha.html

(It takes 1-2 minutes to load up)

Here is a link to the website itself.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

So I invite you to have a go at using it, after watching the video ...
perhaps you'd like to find out what happened on your birthday, or
check what the weather was like on that day?

It would have been brilliant to have had this website to help me
(and my dad) do my school Maths homework ... would have saved us many
hours of work. :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

Thanks for that one Justin. :)

I've just discovered that I was born 19,659 days ago (or 2,808.5 weeks ago).

And just when I thought I'd got over my mid-life crisis (re: Where have all the years gone? Or weeks? Or even those 19,659 Days?!).

:)

Good site though, and I can see even more potential fun from it (I must try at least Pythagoras, even if only to see how many decimal places it allows. Etc.).

10:10 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Good to hear that you're enjoying this site, Kevin. I was very impressed when I first saw it, but I doubt if I'll really need to use it much. I could use it for family history research eg check out what the weather was like when my maternal grandparents got married. Nana used to say that it snowed the day she got married (she grew to hate her husband)... but it turns out that she got married in July.

5:40 am  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Very interesting website. I shall certainly bookmark this although I think I'll be using it more for fun than for work.

9:16 am  
Blogger Max said...

This looks the dogs, don't it, Justers?

8:22 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for "dropping in", DD and Max .... good to see you're back in the blogosphere, Max.

10:38 pm  
Blogger Max said...

Thanks, Justin.

Justin? There's a "v" on the last link which is causing a "broken link" effect.

7:11 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks a lot for letting me know about that, Max ~ I've deleted the "v", and the link is working OK now.

10:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home