Tuesday, March 17, 2009

To blog or not to blog ~ that is the question...

but could “slow blogging” be the answer?

From time to time I read about bloggers who get tired of blogging and
who give up completely … a sad loss to the blogging community, I think.

Not so long ago, I announced that I would take a year off blogging, to
give myself a break from having to constantly think about new ideas to
write about, so as not to bore my readers.

However, during my time off blogging, I was still reading other
people’s blogs, and I started to feel I was missing out on my writing.
Also, I felt I was missing out on contact with my readers, with whom
I’d enjoyed corresponding.

Today, I was reading through a couple of old weekend colour
supplements, when I came across a reference to Todd Sieling’s
Slow Blog Manifesto ~ It happens when it happens.”

You will see that he favours taking time to think about things … and
not to feel obliged to post masses of stuff in order to build up or
maintain a high readership, or to chase after a high Google Page
Ranking. Who really needs the latter, unless the blog is relevant to
your business, or if you’re making money out of the advertising
carried on your site?

The downside of rarely posting anything is that readers will stop
visiting your site. Perhaps there’s a happy compromise somewhere?

3 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

I agree with you absolutely about blogging. There are some bloggers who feel they should post every day (why?) and will even write things like "I've nothing to say today but instead you can read this link to an interesting article..." as though I've been waiting for his or her words of wisdom and would be lost for the day if they didn't post anything.

The real problem is that there are too many good blogs to read and too little time to get round to them all. Bloggers who write long often don't get my full attention.

But the beauty of blogging for me is I can do it when I want to: there are no journalistic deadlines for me!

7:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with him

10:11 am  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, very well put, DD.
I dip into all the blogs I've listed alongside from time to time, some more frequently than others. And as you say, there are no deadlines with blogging, only self-imposed ones.
I feel I've got too much to do at present, which may sound bizarre considering that I'm retired... I've got too many deadlines to meet!

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home