Sunday, March 29, 2009

The clocks went forward last night ...

I spent half of today wondering what the time was, as the clocks went
forward an hour as you all know. Both Mrs C and I got up fairly late
(around 9am new time), so breakfast for us kind of merged into coffee
time. We sat around doing some more of the Times Saturday jumbo
crossword, did a little internet surfing, plus a bit of cat training,
encouraging Miss D to use the new microchip cat flap. We had three
goes at getting her through the cat flap from outside the house,
putting her in a cat basket and releasing her into the house.
(We'll do this a few more times this coming week, until Miss D gets
used to using the cat flap).

At lunchtime, we listened to the Food Programme on Radio 4, which was
all about the ongoing controversy about the imbalance of Omega 3 and
Omega 6 fatty acids in our diet, and whether this is of any importance
in the development of cardio-vascular disease, arthritis and mental
ill-health. It seems that we're all eating far too much Omega 6 compared
with Omega 3 (which is found in oils from fish, flax seed and I gather
rape seed too).

This radio programme will be available online until next Saturday, if
you're interested.

This afternoon we both walked into town to see the film "Two Lovers",
James Gray's latest film at The Broadway Cinema. Brilliant acting from
all the actors, especially Joaquin Phoenix, Gwyneth Paltrow, and
Vinessa Shaw, who were in the lead roles. If you'd like to know more
about the film, have a look at the IMDB site, HERE. I give the film a
five star rating ~ I think it's a must-see.

In terms of sex appeal for me, Gwyneth is great, but Vinessa is stunning.
You'll get several glimpses of her without all the glam make-up in the
following trailer from the film.

After tea, we settled down to watching some TV drama: "Come Dine With Me",
and "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency". We videoed "Lewis" and "Damages".

Now, I'm thinking about going to bed early, at the new time of midnight.

4 Comments:

Blogger dpmsurf said...

Omega 3 is great for you!
Fish Oil
can really help increase your omega 3 levels. Learn the best type of fish oil. Find out what is the best way to increase your omega 3.

3:21 am  
Blogger Kimber said...

ooh, how was the #1 Ladies Detective Agency? I've read about 6 of the books and loved them. I don't get HBO though...

4:15 pm  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

You nearly had me going into that GMT vs BST debate again, but notice I have refrained. (However, I still think UK clocks should stay on GMT. Oops, sorry, I said I would refrain!).

On the Omega's - I read somewhere that imbalances in the body, and not just Omega's, are often caused by people taking food supplements when they're not actually needed.

Having said that, I still continue to take my Over 50's Formulae multivitamin and mineral tablet every lunchtime in spite of my very broad diet.

I gather though that a portion of white fish once a week, and a portion of dark (oily) fish once a week, takes care of more than just a balanced Omega intake.

Reminds me of what my Dad used to say: "Everything in moderation, and nothing in excess".

8:23 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Kimber: yes, we're enjoying the series. You might be able to watch an episode on the BBC I Player ....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ladies/

Kevin: I agree with you about not messing around with the clocks. Perhaps we could go half-way, and move the clocks on 30 minutes, and then stay on this new time permanently, as they've done in Venezuela, I believe.
I don't think I'll adjust my diet much, except to cut down a little on the sunflower oil and marge (which contain a lot of Omega 6).

10:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home