Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Well, it is traditionally the time of year to be thinking
about something you'd like to change about your personal
habits or appearance for the better.

I wonder who invented this idea? Perhaps it was a Victorian
journalist, who was so short of news at this time of year
that he/she filled a page with fairly trite but entertaining
stuff like this. We all like to read about celebs who are
keen to shed a few pounds in weight or give up smoking, or
who wish to do some charitable work for the needy / less
well off.... instead of enjoying themselves ~ smoking, drinking,
having sex, and spending loads of money on wonderful houses,
cars and holidays ~ a lifestyle which many would love to have.

In my case, I'd like to add a few pounds in weight, but not
too much or I'd have to go out and buy some new trousers
(possibly ones with elasticated waist bands which are popular
with people of a certain age). I don't know why, but if I do
put on some weight, I tend to put it on round the middle -
I become pot-bellied, which looks most unattractive.
Perhaps this is a male (rather than female) phenomenon?

Excuse me for rambling on about this, but some years ago,
I went along to a meeting for doctors and nurses working in
the community, which was all about giving dietary advice to
obese patients. I was the only GP and the only bloke in the
audience.

Anyway, the woman leading the meeting made a joke about men
being so overweight, that they permanently lost sight of their
willies ... everyone laughed including me. The group leader then
half apologised to me for making a sexist joke.

New Year's Resolutions ... they're easy to make but hard to keep,
aren't they?

The usual advice is to keep them simple and do-able.

So my resolution for 2009 is to be more attentive, to chat more
and to spend more time with, the lovely Mrs C.

I spend more time on this computer than with Mrs C, which is
silly really, so I'm going to adjust this balance.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kimber said...

It's very rare to hear about someone who wants to GAIN weight! I used to be like that too up until a few years ago so I can relate. You'd better not flaunt it or you'll run the risk of getting beaten up by all the folks who struggle to lose weight. (0:

Lovely resolution to spend time with your beloved.

7:45 pm  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

I was always skinny and underweight as a kid and it was a relief to me to put on a few pounds in my late twenties / early thirties. Like you it went to my middle first, but then fortunately spread out (I suspect it was down to a period of good living, eating, and drinking!). What's amazing is that I've stayed around the same weight for the last twenty years or so since those days!

Know what you mean about the elasticated waistband - they reckon that as the years advance upwards so the waistline advances upwards! Saw it for myself with a manager at a previous workplace - his trouser belt was just underneath his male boobs! Yuk!!

1:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home