Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It pays to shop around

Today I renewed our house buildings and contents insurance with
Churchill online, at a bargain price of £79 … this is for fairly
basic insurance cover (and with a £200 excess on any claims), but
even so, the sums insured are well above what we actually need.

Churchill is currently offering a 50% reduction in premiums to new
online customers (who haven’t made a claim in the last 5 years).

Last year’s quote from Churchill was £155, but I chose to stay
with our usual insurers, X**, who matched this quote (when I
asked if they could do so, over the phone).

This year’s renewal premium from X was £556.

I phoned a sales consultant at X, to see if he could match
Churchill’s quote, but he couldn’t do so.

The level of insurance cover on offer with X was much higher,
but we’re satisfied with the cover we’ve got with Churchill.

I did try out one of the online comparison websites, but after
spending ages answering page after page of questions, it
didn’t give me any price comparisons there and then, but
said that these would be emailed to me. So I went straight
to the Churchill website, which was much simpler to use.

So, I’ve saved us nearly £480 (700 US dollars), just by
shopping around on the internet for an hour or two.

** name withheld to avoid possible litigation.

........................................................

I got up early this morning at about 6.30am, and looking out
through our patio doors, I saw this very misty / foggy scene.
The rooftops nearby were all frosted over -- it was very cold.
The road by our house was very quiet (there were no passing cars),
so I got a strange feeling of stillness, as if everything had
been frozen in time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

Crikey, what a financial difference a few clicks on the mouse makes! I always get a tad suspicious when something appears to be so very cheap; but I also love a bargain!

8:13 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Dumdad ~ yes, I'd be suspicious about such a cheap quote from an insurance company, but I've used Churchill in the past for motor insurance, with no probs. What I find galling is being asked to pay such a high premium by the other company ~ surely they must realise that their customers will look elsewhere. We'd been with them for 9 years, and haven't put in a claim for well over 5 years.
Yes, I love a bargain too. :)

6:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home