Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Worst Xmas presents

I've just been reading Scary Duck's latest posting (his site
is always good for a laugh), which features the worst pressies
ever received at Xmas time.

A few spring to my mind, thinking about this ...

A shirt which was several sizes too small for me ... it would
have fitted a 9 year old ... I could hardly get the edges of
the shirt to come today across my manly puny chest.

A five year pocket diary, given to me when I was 9 by one of
my dad's elderly friends. The diary had one week on one page
... so typical diary entries for me would be "Had peas again".
I didn't carry on more than a couple of weeks with this.
My life was uneventful in those days (as it is now, you'll be
thinking).

A box of horrribly flavoured toffees given to me, again when
I was around 9 years of age .... my sister S thought they were
revolting too ... we called them "cement sweets". With
hindsight, I think they were rum-flavoured (which I quite like
now... I should have saved them).

Several ties, which I only wore once (if at all). They stayed
in my wardrobe for yonks.

It's so difficult to find suitable pressies for people, don't
you think, without asking them directly for a list of what
they'd like?

Amazon's idea of having a "wish list" for people to enter on
what they'd like, is brilliant. A bit like posting your wish
list to Santa in Greenland, only better.

Perhaps people like myself, who've got most of what they'd
ever want in the house, should ask for cheques from family &
friends who wish to give something ~ made out to a named
charity?

................................................................................

Monday, December 29, 2008

Had peas again.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kimber said...

Too funny! But you have to tell me...were they mushy peas or plain peas? (My mother always ordered mushy peas at our local British pub and I loathed them)

Don't forget - there's always the lost art of "regifting" if you get something you really have no use for.

4:10 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Kimber ... I prefer plain (Bird's Eye) peas to mushy peas (except when eating fish and chips). Peas straight out of the garden are even better, but we don't grow these at present.

Yes, re-gifting ... I can "feel" another post coming on about this.
Thanks for that thought, Kimber.

11:24 pm  
Blogger justin said...

... Lovely photo, BTW

11:40 pm  
Blogger jo(e) said...

I laughed aloud when I got to the "Had peas again" part.

4:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new year, peas are good for you

8:01 am  
Blogger Kimber said...

I grow peas in my garden - perhaps I should send you some CANADIAN Pea seeds? (0;

3:59 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Oh dear ... not peas again!

8:00 am  
Blogger Kevin 'In Salford' said...

When I was a kid, for many years my mother always received a large tin of fancy biscuits as a Christmas present to us from my aunt (her sister). Well us kids always enjoyed them, but my mother became increasingly annoyed at the lack of imagination my aunt had for Christmas presents.

So much so that one year my mother didn't even unwrap it, she just added on another gift tag and sent it back to her the following Christmas!

You can imagine the 'Sisterly Love' (or lack of it!) that ensued!!

1:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home