Saturday, November 01, 2008

I'd like it strong, please ...



Yes, a mug of strong tea ~ that's how I like it ~ full bodied, flavoursome,
unsweetened and lots of it. Oh, and a modest amount of semi-skimmed milk...
I don't like whole milk in tea, though I like it with coffee.

I don't know if you get Twinings tea in other parts of the world ~ if you
do, I'd recommend a blend of 2 parts of their English Breakfast Tea and
1 part Darjeeling. To be scientific/anal about it, I put 6-8 grams of this
blend in a warm tea-pot, add boiling water, stir well and leave to infuse
for about 5 minutes.

The result is a decent mug of tea, the shade of brown boot polish. I
definitely don't like tea the colour of dishwater (or gnat's piss, as my
dad used to call it) ~ though obviously some people do.

My late aunt Irene used to drink Earl Grey tea, as does the Queen.
Whenever I went round to see her, she'd make a pot of tea for two, putting
a heaped dessertspoon of tea in the pot ~ horribly strong, but she used to
like it. After many years of drinking this stuff, I developed an aversion
to it ~ I can smell it a mile off (or should I say, a few kilometers, now?)

One pleasure of coming back from a holiday abroad is being able to get a
proper cup of tea... don't you think? I occasionally watch relocation
programmes on the TV, showing you fab places to live in Europe ~ but
what's the point of moving if you can't get a good cup of tea? :)

I was once offered a cup of tea by a Middle Eastern family, who made it by
boiling up a tea bag in evaporated milk. It was horribly sweet and was
scalding hot ~ I burnt my tongue on it. I was in the middle of a round of
home visits as a family doctor, and had sit and make polite conversation
for 5 minutes or so, while the tea cooled down. I couldn't discretely get
rid of the tea, as they sat with me, chatting away. I only accepted cold
drinks after that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

teabag in a cup, no sugar, skimmed milk for me

7:09 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi LOM ~ which brand of tea do you like?

3:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home