Monday, April 21, 2008

Nerds Anonymous in Newark?

We said goodbye to our daughter Ludar and Mini last weekend, after
looking after them for 3 weeks. L. has made a brilliant recovery from
her gallbladder op (she had keyhole surgery, and only required pain-
killers for 2-3 days post-op ... amazingly).

We're sad to see them go, but having them here certainly "cramped my
style" ... I was spending a lot of time entertaining Mini, and doing
a lot of the extra shopping, cooking, washing up, etc..

Our house does feel very quiet and empty without them ... but on the
plus side, I can revert to my usual habits ... tinkering around on this
computer and getting out a bit more (without feeling guilty about
leaving L on her own).

I spent most of today in the Newark area (which is not far from Lincoln)
on a U3A study day .... mainly about choosing, setting up and using
audio-visual equipment, plus ideas about raising money to pay for the
kit (such as applying to the National Lottery, which donates money to
good causes). It was great to meet up with a lot of like-minded folk,
who were not as socially inept as I thought they might be ... they
were all were very friendly and chatty.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to spend 2-3 hours in the local libraries,
gathering material for my talk next week on Family History. I won't bore
you with any more detail about that. And then a trip to either Sainsbury's
or Tesco's to buy some more veg for us. Iam's cat food (chicken flavour)
has been heavily discounted at Sainsbury's, so I might go and stockpile
some more.... the stuff has got a long shelf life.

Tonight Mrs C and I put together a very nice omelette with chopped onion,
green pepper, mushrooms and garlic, served up with the usual mountain of
veg. Tomorrow's fare will be even simpler -- baked potatoes (with a light
coating of sunflower oil, salt & pepper) with low fat cottage cheese,
plus the usual mountain of veg. I'm starting to feel hungry already.
I often think that simple meals are sometimes the best ... in terms of
flavour and satisfaction ... you needn't fart around in the kitchen all
day making elaborate sauces and the like. Do you agree?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love cooking and find it relaxing, all that chopping and mixing. But you are right some times simple is best. Tonight we are having homemade Asparagus soup with a poached egg floating in the top

LOM

1:52 pm  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

your meals always sound mouthwatering!

3:56 pm  
Blogger justin said...

LOM: the soup sounds lovely ... I've never tried floating an egg in soup before - what an interesting combination.
Angel: thanks for that ... I think I'll have to change this into a cookery blog ... on "How to eat as much as you like". :)

5:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home