Saturday, April 12, 2008

A big thank you to you, my readers

Well, I see from my hit counter that I've just passed 5000 hits,
which is great news ... and which gives me some incentive to
carry on blogging. We've had family staying with us last week
and for yet another week, which means I'm twice as busy with
shopping, cooking and clearing up, as well as helping out with
with looking after one of our grandchildren, Little Mini ...
I'm starting out on a new career as a children's entertainer.
It's great fun really, but tiring at times.

This coming week, apart from all the above, I'll be gathering
material together for another one of my U3A talks all about
getting started with your family history. I gave one of these
talks about a year ago, but the computer group I'm with have
requested the same again.

Our local council library service has just allowed free access
to Ancestry.co.uk and to Find My Past as well ... two excellent
websites which some of you may be familiar with. The library
version of Ancestry is not the full version I've been told...
however I will be able to access the England & Wales 1901 Census,
which is expensive to access otherwise.

For example, my maternal grandfather was one of eleven children,
and I only know the names of three other siblings in his family.
I have yet to look them all up in the 1901 Census and earlier
censuses, and then possibly come forward in time to contact
present-day relatives.

So I think an interesting approach to the whole subject would be
to show people what they can access locally ... the Nottm. library
service, the county records office (Notts Archives), our Probate
Office (for copies of wills), The Latter Day Saints Church, and
the Notts Family History Society...

...and, in particular, what they can access online in the comfort
of their own homes. The internet is really amazing, don't you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger AngelConradie said...

wo, i wonder if i'd be able to find anything about my family online...?

5:58 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Angel ... depends where your ancestors were living in the mid-late 1800s. If you go onto the Mormon site (familysearch dot org), you can have a look round the site ... put in an ancestor's name and his/her approximate dates, & see what pops up for birth, marriage & death, and for census info too. Ancestry dot com is brilliant, & you could try it out for a free trial period.

10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home