Friday, March 21, 2008

Words and nuisance phone calls

Not a lot happened this past week, apart from a visit mid-week
from Little Ava and her mum ... little A is as cute as ever, and
is very lively and is becoming more verbal. One of her latest
sayings is a very dramatic "Ooh No-o-o!" whenever something bad
happens (such as Teddy falling off / being pushed off the table).
Hilarious.

Thinking about funny expressions / catch-phrases which we've
acquired over the years, here are a few of them ...

"Suppose so ..." said repeatedly by a woman who ran a guest house
we stayed at near Scarborough. She spent most of her time chatting
on the phone to her friends & family, just like Sybil Fawlty in
Fawlty Towers ... what a character. "Hmm...suppose so."

"Horrenderous" ... an word used a lot by some guy complaining about
the loud music coming from a neighbouring pub, to one of my daughters
(who works in Environmental Health). What a horrenderous noise.

Seen on a newspaper advert for a curry house in Leeds, about the
high quality of the food served there... "You will be surpriz!"

My parents invited a family to come and join us for Sunday lunch ..
... after eating his portion of delicious roast chicken, the five
year old son shouted to my mum: "More! Better!"

And then there's the well known Nottingham greeting:
"'Ey up, me duck!" as well as commonly used words like:
Sweetheart, Darlin', Dear and Love. I've become used to hearing these
friendly words, but some people take them the wrong way and feel
offended or patronised. Would you feel offended?

What irritates me are those automated/random phone calls, which
we get a few times a week ... there's often a slight pause before
the voice starts up: "Congratulations! You have won a holiday!"
or a similar prize offering.

Our phone number is ex-directory by the way, and we never say
our names when we answer the phone, so when a rep starts off
by saying we've been "specially selected" ... or "we're in your area
at the moment" ... or "Are you the houseowner?" I often feel like
challenging the caller or saying something like: "I'm the lodger".

One of our relatives has a bit of fun and invents a whole series
of replies like: "Hello, it's the Thorndyke Funeral Home ... can I
be of assistance?" ... or ... (pause) ..."Please hold the line...
we're trying to connect you!"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind beinging called 'duck, love or darlin' as long as it's done in a nice way, not a sexest way. Come to think og it I have been called a lot worse.

6:45 am  
Blogger justin said...

I wouldn't like to be shouted at as if I were scum, as some bosses treat their staff: "Oi! You!".
Mrs C and I have been watching "Damages", where people are generally treated as shit, or are badly manipulated ... compulsive viewing though.

11:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I get those annoying calls I always put on a phoney Indian accent and say something like "Goodness gracious me, I am not understanding you". Then there is a click as they hang up on ME!

Thanks for the "photo-link" by the way. On my last page I had little banners for everybody, but I lost them in my last "great crash"!

1:13 am  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Keith, thanks for dropping in. Unfortunately, nuisance phone calls are here to stay ... on the plus side, they're great to have a good moan about, or to tease the callers.
I've had a link to your site for a while, but for some reason I couldn't work out how to leave a comment on your site ... your new Haloscan comment system is a lot better.

12:46 pm  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

when i get a phone spiel like that i pretend i can't hear them and eventually have them shouting into the phone!

7:06 pm  
Blogger justin said...

That's brilliant, Angel... a great idea. I've heard of someone who invented a sob story of only having a few months left to live, which he moaned about to these callers.

10:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home