Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Lovely potato recipes

Fancy cooking something special for St Valentine's Day?
Do you like food? ... I reckon most of us do (except for
those of us with anorexia nervosa).

Well I've just found a lovely foodie site ... Martin Dwyer's.
Click on "recipes" at the top of the Welcome page, and you'll
be transported to an Aladdin's cave full of magical recipes.
I found Martin's site by a link to it on his daughter's site..
Catriona's.

What caught my eye when I was on his site a couple of days ago,
was a recipe for Pommes Anna (click HERE for the recipe plus the
mouthwatering photo). It's zero calorie by the way (as if).

Mrs C and I just love eating potatoes ... we go for organic ones
from Abel & Cole, which taste as if they're straight out of the
garden. Often we steam them just below our veg, so they're also
flavoured with a little bit of the veg water ... dee-licious.

We also love eating new potatoes, eg Jersey Royals, and the
traditional baked potatoes. Another dish we like is Julienne
potatoes ... very finely chipped potatoes -- patted dry & then
piled up in a frying pan with a small amount of hot sunflower/
olive oil at the bottom...plus 2-3 cloves of finely sliced garlic
spinkled on the top, seasoned with a little salt and freshly
ground black pepper ... and then the whole compressed down with
a plate and a number of heavy weights on top ... cooked on a low
heat for 30-40 mins. The result is a crispy potato base with a
soft & beautifully flavoured layer of potato on top.... mmmmmmm.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

Stop! You're making me hungry!

5:12 pm  
Blogger justin said...

I feel hungry too, DD, re-reading my blog. Nothing quite like the lovely potato ... all thanks to Sir Walter and a lot of TLC given to it over the years. I've heard there's a new variety of spud about to hit the supermarket shelves ... Mayan Gold, I think the name is, which is said to have a new sensational flavour. I'm looking forward to that.

11:03 pm  
Blogger martin said...

Thanks for the mention Justin.

8:59 am  
Blogger justin said...

... and thanks for dropping by, Martin ... you've got a great blogsite.

11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home