Friday, February 08, 2008

Computer stuff and televising

I've spent most of this week sitting at this laptop, doing
various things .. polishing up a Powerpoint presentation on
how to use a flash drive and a multiple card reader ...I gave
my talk yesterday to about 20 people in an over 50s Computer
Group, which went very well ... and then spending some time
answering a few queries later via the internet.

I've been having some problems getting a different anti-virus
system on board my new laptop ... in fact I spent a good part
of today trying to delete Norton off the laptop (the trial
period is up, and I don't wish to be locked into paying £60
a year for it) ... and putting on some paid AVG software ..
I bought an installation disc from my local computer shop,
but I had problems registering with AVG (sorted by a phone
call to AVG.

I tried several times to remove various bits of the Norton
from the computer, but it appears to have been welded into
the system. To cut a long story short, I'm taking the laptop
round to a computer expert next Tuesday to sort it all out.
He told me he's got a special bit of software to eradicate
all traces of Norton. So a bit of extra expense, but some
savings in the longer term.

In the past few weeks I've tried installing the free versions
of AVG and Avast, and a trial version of Kapersky too ... all
to no avail.

Anyway, I don't wish to bore you with any more detail about
this ... I just hope it's all sorted out next week, so I'll be
able to give you some good news.

We've been watching quite a lot of TV this week... to give you
a quick run-down of our favourites ...
Monday: The Palace & Damages
Tuesday: Mistresses
Wednesday: Grand Designs, Relocation Relocation, & bits of the
England v Switzerland match ... good goals but not
scintillating football otherwise.
Thursday: Jamie Oliver, Ashes to Ashes (& videoed Trial & Retribution
to see at the weekend)
Today: My Family, A Place in the Sun, The Choir, & videoed Moving
Wallpaper, Echo Beach & Al Murray's Happy Hour. We'll watch
Jonathan Ross' show when it's repeated or by "Catch-up on Demand".

We've also been watching Vicar of Dibley (repeats), Lark Rise to
Candleford, Timewatch (last one was about Brits emigrating to
Australia & how they fared), The Culture Show, & Mony Don's Around
the World in 80 Gardens ... the gardens in Australia & N. Zealand
were stunning.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tuscan Traveller said...

Hi Justin, As a self-confessed nerd (you not me)you alarm me. I've got stacks of unwanted software cluttering up my machine that I've no idea how to uninstall. (Or I try and it asks me if I REALLY want to uninstall and I get scared.) If you're having trouble I've got no chance!
Did a tiny post yesterday. Hardly worth looking but I promised to tell you. Best of luck with Norton - I've got that on mine too but don't use it!

12:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We use AVG and find it very good, it came free with our computer



LOM

12:47 pm  
Blogger justin said...

RW: I've had no probs uninstalling any program until of late, but I think you're right ... leave things as they are unless you run into any problems.
LOM: We've got the free version of AVG on Mrs C's laptop, and so far, we've had no probs, like yourself... we're very pleased with it

10:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I run the free AVAST on the old 98se machine and on my main shuttle PC the paid for NOD32 anti-virus from ESET, a 2 year subscription for $76.91NZ which converts to 31.14Pounds.Very reasonable priced and less of a resources hog than Norton AV. Am happy with both as AV security. Regards from New Zealand.

10:48 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Good to hear from you, EDT. I've just paid up for AVG for the next two years for a similar price to your ESET. Hoping to get the Norton removed today .. keeping my fingers crossed (that my new computer expert can fix it).

6:32 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna talk TV. Hee hee!

Ashes to Ashes. I am only half way from the first episode and think it's the dog's already. Got the second one on PVR also.

Speaking of PVR I have tons and tons of Minders and Professionals that I just can't get round to watching. I need to retire, like yourself Justy! ;o)

8:06 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Max ... Ashes to Ashes is a lot of nonsense, but we enjoy it all the same. We're TV addicts as you can see from my post, and like yourself we record lots of stuff which we don't get round to watching.

7:15 am  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

i just got me a new laptop- its an hp... and was loaded with vista. that has been removed and i now have xp professional loaded and its working beautifully!

7:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home