Saturday, October 06, 2007

It's Goose Fair weekend, folks

Yes, it's that time of year again, the first weekend in October
when it's Goose Fair in Nottingham. I've just checked out a few
facts on Wikipedia, and have found out that the fair started over
700 years ago, so it may have started around the time of Robin
Hood or shortly after.

I've seen old photos of Nottingham, when the fair was held in the
city's Market Square (called Slab Square by the locals, and which
has just been re-slabbed), a more confined space than the present
location which is a stone's throw from where we live on the Forest
Recreation Ground... a wide green open space.

The weather's been perfect this week, warm and sunny afternoons,
with chilly mornings. On some Goose Fair weekends we've had cold,
wet weather, when the Forest has become a sea of churned-up mud
to walk on (like many a Glastonbury Festival).

Mrs C and I had a walkabout on Thursday afternoon, just after
school closing time, when I took a number of photos. I've selected
nine of them to show you, which I'll put up in clumps of three.



2 Comments:

Blogger AngelConradie said...

what amazing photographs justin!!!
that fair sounds marvellous... my country isn't even that old yet!!

7:35 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks, Angel, for your kind comments. Some of the rides we saw
were awesome ... look fab to look at, and fun to go on, but I know if I went on something like the one above, I'd be as sick as a dog.

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home