Sunday, June 17, 2007

Monsoon weather

As some of you will have experienced, the UK has been hit by torrential
rain in the past few days, causing widespread flooding but only one or
two casualties. I walked home from town a couple of days ago, in the
middle of a thunderstorm, with only a brolly to shield me from the
downpour -- I started to feel scared as I approached our road as I was
very close to the centre of the storm with lightning flashes and thunder
every 2 minutes or so... rainwater was flowing like 2 small rivers down
both sides of the road.

Nottingham's Broadmarsh Shopping Centre was flooded at this time, and
had to be closed ... it's at the bottom of a hillside, a short walk
south-east from Nottingham Castle. I don't recall that happening before
in the last 22 years that I've been in Nottingham. However, the flooding
was minimal compared with what happened in other parts of the country--
the West Midlands was worse hit than we were.

It's going to be drier today, so Mrs C and I are going round to our
daughter's house in Bramcote and then possibly to Wollaton Park for a
walkabout (and to see the refurbished Orangery). Wollaton Hall is one
of our great Elizabethan houses, formerly owned by the Willoughby and
Middleton families (who made piles of money from coal mining in the area),
and which is now owned by Nottm City. It's now used as a Natural History
Museum and for art exhibitions, so it's not one of those must-see places
like Chatsworth in Derbyshire, which is full of lovely treasures...
thought to be "Pemberley" in Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice".

2 Comments:

Blogger AngelConradie said...

ooh... i have heard about the rain. i hope it doesn't get any worse.

7:05 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Angel,
People say it's "flamin' June, where I think "flamin'" has come to mean the "f" word, I think. The downpours are carrying on in parts of the country, but here in the East Midlands, the weather tends to be drier and warmer -- which is just how I like it.
The weather forecast looks bad again for Glastonbury (Music Fest.).. more rain and lots of mud for them.

8:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home