Friday, June 15, 2007

Kendal

Have any of you been to Kendal, a small town in Cumbria?
We visited it again, while we were on holiday, and had a look
around a quaint cobbled street there, depicted below. Kendal is
the home of Kendal mint cake, which is very nice bar of sugar,
flavoured with peppermint, which has been used by explorers &
mountaineers over the years. I found out on Wikipedia that the
author of "Postman Pat", John Cunliffe, lives/lived there.
In the window of the Kendal Picture Framing shop, I saw a
lovely Lakeland photo done by Mike Shepherd, in triptych format
... I had to look up the spelling of the word, "triptych", BTW.

Across the road is the 1657 Chocolate Tea Room -- chocolate
heaven. Mrs C had a gorgeous chocolate cake, which I think was
laced with whisky, while I had a cheese scone and a very nice
cup of tea. The tea room itself is interesting to look round ..
low ceilings and old wooden beams ... low enough to bang your
head on. It's what tourists just love to do .. to get a feel of
what life was like a few centuries ago.

I've also included a view up the road (Branthwaite Brow), which
is quite pretty. The Route 66 Bar, which I think is part of the
pub, looks out of place to me ... an odd name to choose for a bar
in Kendal... ("Route A6 Bar" would have been more appropriate),
and the lamposts seem to be leaning over somewhat... still they
add some charm to the street.



3 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

I actually used to watch Postman Pat (and his black-and-white cat) when I lived in London briefly in the '80s. (Yes, I was already grown up!)

7:40 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Hi Andrea,
Yes, me too .... I enjoyed watching it when our girls were little ... and as we had 4 girls, that was for a fair number of years.

6:13 am  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

it really is beautiful justin!

7:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home