Friday, April 13, 2007

Our holiday

I don't wish to bore you with the details of what we did on
holiday, but I'll tell you a little bit about it. We got
recommendations from local people about their favourite
coastal places to visit, which included Bucks Mill,
Hartland Point, Bude, Tintagel, Ports Isaac & Gaverne,
Polzeath, and Padstow. I've put photos of some of these
places up on my Flickr site.

Padstow was one of my favourites - my first visit there - a
thriving village or small town, which seemed to be part-owned
by one of our celebrity chefs, Rick Stein. I can see why he
loves the place, and why he chose to go and live there. We had
some of his fish & chips, which were well worth the wait -
grilled fresh plaice, the best I've ever tasted, and excellent
chips too. I see on Wikipedia that someone's renamed Padstow
as "Padstein". Some of you may be wondering what happened to
Chalky, his dog, which we saw a lot of on the TV programmes.
Unfortunately, Chalky died in January.

When we go again, we'll visit Clovelly and have a closer look
around John Betjeman's favourite haunts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're avid viewers of Rick Stein's TV series here, they are running re-runs at the moment.
I particularly liked the 'French Odyssey' series,must get around to making his belly pork/duck/sausage/haricote bean cassolet sometime.
Duck is not easy to find here, not in the supermarkets anyway in a smaller rural town.
Your wikipedia links are a great idea.I've just browsed your Flickr photos again, the Port Issac roof scape reminds me quite vividly of a summer spent working and living in Penzance way back in 1979.

1:15 am  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

love the pics dude- i also wanna go there!

7:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home