Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Lives of Others

Mrs C and I went to see a superb film today at Nottingham's
Broadway Cinema. It's called "The Lives of Others", set in
East Berlin back in the 1980s, when the Communist Party
imprisoned any dissidents. Here's a link to it on the
Broadway site, where you'll find an outline of the plot.
We both thought the acting was excellent.

I was totally gripped by it -- but not by the ITV drama that
was on later: "Kingdom"... I slept through most of it,
despite the fact that one of our best actors, Stephen Fry,
was in the lead role as a country solicitor who gets involved
with several mysterious goings-on. Perhaps it was the glass
of white wine that made me feel sleepy, but I doubt if we'll
be watching any more episodes.

I missed "Dr Who" yesterday evening unfortunately ... not that
I usually watch it, but I would like to see the return of the
Daleks. Particularly evil and scary creations as you'll know,
though if you get back to reality - suspend the fantasy, it's
quite silly to think of actors imprisoned inside them, feeling
hot and sticky, and moving around with all that cladding on.
Tricky if one of them wants to nip off and have a pee.

5 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

You've reminded me to see if 'The Lives of Others' is showing here in Amsterdam. I read such an interesting article about it recently.

9:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the film was stunning - made all the more interesting when you know the story about the actor who played the Stasi agent - his wife (in real life) was an informer for the Stasi...method acting eh?

10:29 am  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your messages, RN and TG. I was fascinated to see how the cold-hearted interrogator gradually changed, and for me became a more likeable person. I won't say any more, other than I think it's a must-see film. I didn't know about your info about the actor's wife being a former informer, TG -- I think it adds more authenticity that the actors actually experienced living in such a repressive regime.

11:46 pm  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

i wonder if Dr Who will ever come out in SA...

6:15 pm  
Blogger justin said...

I'm surprised that it hasn't, Angel.

12:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home