Monday, March 12, 2007

Good and bad news

First of all the bad news -- my brother-in-law, Paul died a few days
ago of a rare wasting disease, (a bit like Parkinson's disease). He
became totally bedridden 2-3 weeks ago, and rapidly went downhill
- he couldn't move or speak, much to the frustration of his family
and other carers, and of course, of Paul himself. I think it's
terrible to be trapped inside a useless body, being unable to express
any thoughts or feelings -- it's a living death.

In some ways it was a relief that he gradually faded away peacefully
- his breathing became erratic and then much slower, until it
stopped.


He would have been 60 this week -- he was a few months older
than myself. He's "left behind" his wife and two daughters, all of
whom were by his bedside when he died. Very sad.

He and his wife requested that he be nursed at home in his final
months of life - and it's thanks to Derby Social Services, the carers
they provided and to the Community Nursing Service, that he was
looked after so well at home.

The funeral has been delayed owing to some bureaucratic
nonsense, but we now know that it will be Wednesday next week.
Paul had planned his funeral well in advance, and requested that
everyone should dress for the occasion not in black, but in bright
cheerful colours! What a brilliant idea -- asking people to turn up
in what will look like fancy dress.

Now where did I put my Dame Edna outfit?


The good news and what I feel is an antidote to all the bad news
I've had, is that our two granddaughters are bouncing with health.
India and her mum are still with us (as her dad is working abroad
a lot), and we also see a lot of Ava and her mum too -- brilliant
photo-opportunities for me, and well as being able to cuddle and
entertain them. I'll put a couple of photos of them on an
"adjacent" post. I've taken both photos in slightly subdued natural
light, which is my favourite light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home