Thursday, February 22, 2007

I've had some bad news about my brother









My brother, Peter, died yesterday at the age of 67. He'd been ill in
hospital since early December with leukaemia. He responded quite
well to chemo, but then developed a rare brain version of the
condition, and went rapidly downhill.
I went to see him during one week when he was at home between
courses of chemo, just at the time he was developing a stroke -
he looked very ill then. He devoted 40 years of his life to medicine
(looking after diabetics in the Bradford area, where he was just the
one consultant doing the work of 4). He went part-time at the age
of 60, but didn't fully retire until he was 65.
He was looking forward to many more years together with his wife,
their children and grandchildren, but sadly this won't happen.

So, make the most of life while you can, folks. Life is short.

8 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

My thoughts are with you at this time Justin.
But you are right every day should be lived as if it were the last one.

7:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear of your families loss Justin. Regards from NZ.

11:12 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts, Steve and Justin. My mum and dad died at the ages of 88 and 78, respectively -- so us kids have/had expectations of living to a ripe old age.

7:17 am  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

I missed this post. I'm very sorry to hear about your brother.

6:10 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for getting in touch, RN.
My brother was very unlucky to have been struck down with leukaemia, amd more so, to get the rare brain form of the disease (which has a poor outcome).

12:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Justin, thanks for stopping by my blog to leave your lovely comments..my condolences to you on the death of your brother - mind yourself in the next weeks and months

12:29 am  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

my sincerest condolences justin. you and yours are in my prayers.

6:12 am  
Blogger justin said...

That Girl and Angel: many thanks --good to hear from you both.

8:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home