Monday, January 22, 2007

Cancer scare over

I've been feeling grim in the past 12 days, ever since I
discovered a rectal lump, which is the size of a small pea.
I'd been plagued with thoughts of early rectal CA, all the
horrendous treatment that it entails, and the possibility
of an early death in the next 6 - 12 months. And then all
the ramifications ... what to say to our girls and the
rest of our family and friends, and when to tell them,
and what to do in the meantime in my remaining life-time.

To cut a long story short, I was greatly relieved to hear
that the lump is harmless, when I attended the local
colo-rectal clinic in Nottingham today ... Mrs C was
relieved also, as she was very worried too. It feels
as if I've been let off a death sentence. Well if there
is a God up there, very many thanks to you, though I have
to admit that I didn't say any prayers.

My poor brother Peter is seriously ill in hospital with
leukaemia. I went to see him 10 days ago, when he looked
ill ... I could see that he wasn't well enough to receive
visitors. My sisters went to see him yesterday and spent
half an hour with him at his bedside ... one of them had
come all the way over from Strasbourg to see him ...
possibly for the last time. He's seven years older than
I am, and chose to carry on working (as a doctor) until
a couple of years ago, when he was 65. So he's not got
much time left in retirement, unfortunately, but that was
his choice -- he really loved his work.

At the other end of the life & death spectrum is the happier
news that our second granddaughter is due this Thursday ...
L. went into hospital at the end of last week, owing to her
low-lying placenta, and the doctors will be doing the CS at
the 38 week stage. So by next Sunday, we should have mother
and babe home with us for a while -- possibly for 6 weeks
until L. can start lifting heavy weights (when the operation
scar has firmed up). Very exciting news.

I'll post a selection of photos of Singapore, next time.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your brother, and brilliant news for you all the same.

Now you get more time to enjoy your expanding family!

4:11 pm  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

oh- i'm so glad you're okay justin! i'm looking forward to baby AND singapore pictures!

5:51 pm  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

your brother and your daughter are in my prayers justin!

5:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear you scare is over Justin, best of luck with the impending birth and I hope you brother is as comfortable as possible. Am looking forward to more photos. Regards from NZ.

10:18 pm  
Blogger Tjilpi said...

Sorry to hear about your brother. I thought doctors never got sick until my PSA went through the roof in 2005. Nail biting stuff. However, two weeks of ciprofloxacin did the trick. As infection does not seem to be the cause of prostatitis my theory is that the resolution of symptoms has something to do with the same mechanism that cipro has in busting the Achilles tendon. Only a theory.

I went to NZ once. It was closed. But that was in 1966. I understand that things have come a long way.

11:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm relieved to hear you are okay but at the same time very, very sad about your brother.

I hope the new member of the family arrives safe and well and that the mummy is safe and well too.

2:56 pm  
Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Sorry to hear about your scare but pleased to hear that it's over.

2:45 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks, everyone, for your kind thoughts.

7:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home