Monday, September 11, 2006

Returning faulty goods to Amazon

I don’t know if you’ve been in the situation of having
to return faulty goods to Amazon, but we’ve had some
difficulties. There’s no problem if you wish to return
faulty stuff within 30 days of purchase – Amazon allows
you to print off a returns address with the postage paid,
I gather.

Our problem was that we wished to return a faulty
coffee-maker to Amazon, which we bought last February.
We’d already had one replacement machine from the
manufacturer and various bits and bobs for the machine,
which continued to give us a lot of trouble. (The
after-sales service from the manufacturer was brilliant
– it was just unfortunate that the two machines we had
were faulty).

Anyway, to return to Amazon, Mrs C and I spent ages
on the Amazon website going round and round the
“Returns Policy” section, emailing them and trying a
phone line, which referred us to the Returns section
on the website.

Later I did a Google search (Good Old Google) and
found a forum, with contributions from other
dissatisfied Amazon customers. Carrying on my Google
search, I came across this Wikipedia entry, with
a couple of UK phone numbers for Amazon. The freephone
one was of no use for us, but the other number got us
through to the Customer Service Department. Hurrah!

5-10 minutes later, Mrs C got a returns address from
the company, and a promise to refund the postage if
the coffee machine was returned to them within 48
hours.

Why Amazon should have this 48 hour policy I’m not
sure, as I ended up paying £18.50 to post the machine
back to Amazon, by “Special Delivery” at the Post
Office, whereas I could have sent it “second class”
to arrive within 5 days, which would have cost about
£10 less.

You can imagine my surprise when Mrs C got an email
two days later from Amazon, saying they were refunding
the full cost of the coffee machine and the postage
as well. I was amazed.

In our covering letter with the coffee machine, we did
suggest to Amazon that they should include a phone
number for their customer service department on the
website, which I think would improve customer relations
greatly. We’ve had no reply to that as yet. I wonder
if they will get round to putting the phone number on
the website?

2 Comments:

Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Isn't Wikipedia great? I'd never have thought of looking there for Amazon contact details

11:36 am  
Blogger justin said...

Yes, RN, it's brilliant....Wikipedia plus Google... they're marvellous for
looking things up. I searched through a few Google pages for Amazon's returns policy, and found the Wikipedia reference.

10:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home