Friday, September 01, 2006

a few more changes to the layout

Following some helpful suggestions from edt, I spent the best
part of yesterday making some changes to this site. As regards
the thumbnail photos in the side-bar, I have copied Max's
layout with a few minor changes in the coding (hope you don't
mind, Max). I've widened the main text section, and have
narrowed the side-bar, by 50px. It doesn't look much different
on my big screen, but the main text section is 2cm wider.

Overall, I think the site looks neater and less cluttered,
though not as minimalist as the Wordpress format. I'll now have
to write a lot more to fill up all this extra space. :)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good on me 17" CRT screen here. Thank heavens your blog isn't one of those one has to scroll side ways to see everything. A final, and I promise final thought, does blogger support smiley icons in your comments facility,like Haloscan over at Zoe's blog does?. I like being able to add a ;) to a tongue in cheek comment.The larger Turnerish pic definitely looks good on the white background. Don't feel compelled to write more, 'less is more' as they say. Regards from spring in NZ, 3 days without the wood fire going and 21C daytime temps...finally.

1:14 am  
Blogger andrea said...

Nice update, Justin. I am a fan of the minimalist look. I hate white-on-black -- more because it's harder to read than because it looks like a black velvet Elvis.

1:48 am  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your compliments, edt and Andrea. I too hate reading white/red writing on a black background. The blue background that I had before looked OK on my screen, but was too dark on my daughter's small CTR screen (the one who lives in London).
I haven't seen yellow smiley icons on Blogger blogs, edt. I just use this one ... :)

11:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much nicer Justin. My only thing now is that the picture in the banner looks very dark.

10:41 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks, Cliff - I'll keep what you've said in mind, and will look out for a something like a sunny countryside scene, (perhaps with a few ramblers in it), to put up instead. I like your pale blue one, by the way.

10:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. South of France, actually. (snort)

You could probably just up the brightness by 20 and the contrast by 15.

12:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home