Wednesday, August 16, 2006

the photo-montage

I spent a good part of yesterday, playing about with this and another photo-montage, and then putting together a detailed instruction sheet on how I produced the photo I've posted below.
It's based on one of my photos of a country mansion in Mallorca, called La Granja, which was like a small version of Chatsworth. Mrs C and I visited it last April. The view is of a lovely first floor balcony-cum-courtyard, which spans across one side of the house, connecting the upper floor rooms together.
You will see that I've merged two copies of the photo together, using both the clone tool and the eraser tool in Photoshop. I think the result is eye-catching but somewhat claustrophobic (compared to the open-space feeling of the original view).
I'll be interested to hear what you think about it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LIKE the forced perspective. To take it to another level next time, consider taking macro closeup detail shots of the rail/columns/freize features and put them in the white areas, perhaps at a lower brightness level to draw the eye into the persepective 'tunnel',keeping the black angled borders though.Have produced two conventional A4 sized montages here of late, as birthday gifts, using Adobe Photodelux4 (a pared back version of Photoshop) The little Aptiva PC huffs and puffs a bit when I get 21 layers up but we get there. (resolution only low on this net post, prints fine)

12:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My God! I can see symbology. I see the Holy Grail. I see a sign of time standing still or of God's eternity.

8:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and...vaguely related to your recent post on careers that might have been, you might find the net stream interview here with Brian Cox (a pom) interesting. 'Saturday Morning with Kim Hill' 19th Aug 9:10am

5:58 am  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks for your comments, guys. I liked your photomontage, Edt - very colourful. I'll listen to the Brian Cox interview a little later, ed.
I find a lot of abstract art somewhat contrived - art that my mum used to call arty farty, so I find it difficult to create something that pleases me and that would please others. How can an arrangement of bricks or planks of wood, or an unmade bed in an art gallery be classed as art, or be pleasing to the eye? I can see how these creations could be regarded as anti-establishment - waving two fingers at it, but there's no way I'd have such stuff in my house.

7:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home