Thursday, August 24, 2006

Looking at windows

What a big change in our weather today! I set off to walk into the city centre this morning, when it was cool, cloudy and raining slightly. It was the tail end of a bad thunderstorm we had yesterday evening. A couple of hours later this morning -- brilliant sunshine, bright blue sky and hot. I had walked into town dressed for winter. Oh well, it was lovely to see the sun again, and to feel its warmth.

My lecture on Photoshop was well received this morning – it was the first of three I'm giving. I'd spent the last 2-3 weeks preparing for these talks. Today’s included a Powerpoint presentation and handouts for those who attended. I’ll also giving one on the basics of how to use Publisher (I only know the basics, most of which were shown to me by one of my daughters).

My main problem this morning was finding the ruddy photos on Windows XP -- photos that I'd already put on the laptop at the centre where I was giving the talk. The laptop is almost identical to Mrs C's and has what I thought was an identical version of Windows XP on it. I clicked on the Start Menu expecting to see a shortcut to My Pictures, but the shortcut didn't exist. Either this version of XP is different from Mrs C's or someone had removed the shortcut.

So you can imagine my embarrassment sitting in front of a group of 15 people, rummaging around, trying to find my photo folder on the computer. Fortunately one of the group was more experienced with using XP than I was and made some
helpful suggestions, whereupon I found it. The rest of the presentation went very well, despite my feeling fairly anxious for most of the time.

I'm a big fan of Windows 98 (I've got the SE version) -- may it last a few more years before it becomes totally obsolete, as regards new software. I don’t like XP.

This afternoon, I was walking through our lounge to sit down with a cup of tea, when I saw a huge splash of light reflected in our large wall mirror.
Time for another photo I thought -- so here it is. By the way, our walls are a light sandy yellow, and the mirror frame is light oak in colour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home