Wednesday, August 02, 2006

choices in career and women

If you had your life over again, would you like to have done something different, job-wise? Fancy being a travel journalist or novelist, an artist, an astronaut, a famous pop-star, an Member for Parliament, a microbiologist, a plastic surgeon, a famous photographer like David Bailey, or a footballer like Georgie Best?

Yes, I fancied being all of those, at one time or other .... in my dreams.

And if I could have had a different personality, what would it have been like? Well, I would have liked to have had more confidence, and more in the way of social skills when I was growing up... and to be more articulate - better at expressing my own views. A good memory or a photographic one would have come in very handy for all sorts of things - memorising the contents of medical textbooks was always hard work for me, and remembering people's names, and requests to do things.

I got on well with my two sisters, and with girls in my class at primary school, but as a teenager I was very shy as regards meeting women of the same age - I didn't have any chat-up lines or conversation of interest. A turning point came when I was about 17 - I met my first girlfriend at a school dance, and later took her out.
The all-boys school I went to offered instruction in ballroom dancing. I joined up rather late to do this, but in good time for the annual school dance in mid-December, when girls from the neighbouring schools were invited to come along. My first dance was with a gorgeous red-haired women - she was chatty, very attractive, and amazingly warm close up. I fell instantly in love with her (though she didn't feel quite the same, as it turned out).

The friendship (that's as far as it developed) lasted about six months on and off. I say on and off, as we'd only go out together about once a month, (mainly to the cinema), as she said she had too much home-work to do. She made this excuse once too often one week, and having nothing better to do, I went along to a barn dance on the Saturday evening (invited by one of my sister's girlfriends who was running it). Anyway, guess who I saw there ... my girlfriend dancing with and cuddling up to a younger and more handsome lad from my school. It was then I decided not to ask her out any more. I phoned her about six months later, to see how she was getting on. She said was surprised that I hadn't kept in touch - I can't remember what I said in reply, but not what I was feeling about her at that time.

I went out with several women during my years as a medical student, until I met up with the future Mrs C, my true love.

3 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Good topic, Justin! I would've liked to have been a photo journalist with my ongoing and constant obsession of both photography and travel. Interestingly, I also see myself as a medical practitioner -- either a GP or a vet -- due to my fascination with the human and pet species and interest in health and well being. I almost became an architect but became a teacher instead because the course was 2 years shorter and I was already mired in student loans. In the end I became what I was always meant to be, so it's all moot, but interesting to explore nonetheless.

1:45 am  
Blogger steve said...

once again you have excelled
personally I wouldn't change a thing, because I think I have had go at most things, I think I may have made a good nurse because as a first aider at work I love patching people up I actually put some butterfly stiches on someone last week.
I think I would have liked to have been an actor but that never crossed my path I can sing but the days of big band singing have gone.
I tell you what, I want to be me, I am good at it and have been doing it a long time.

6:41 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Andrea & Steve: thanks for your comments. I find it fascinating to read and hear about people's jobs and career choices. It's sad that some people's options are limited owing to lack of money or state-funding> And then when they've spent years training up to be a doctor say, there are very few jobs to be had in the NHS currently - what a mess.

3:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home