Monday, July 31, 2006

the wedding and the house move

Mrs C and I enjoyed the wedding on Saturday. It took place in a beautiful village church (St James, Syresham). The vicar/rector, William Adams, ran the service in a very friendly and somewhat quirky way. I heard later that in his younger days he’d been a headmaster, which may account for why he lined up the bride and groom and the other main players up at the front of the church for a photo-shoot for the signing of the register - like children at a school. The music and church bell ringing was excellent.
The service was at 3pm, and the meal started at 6.30pm (at Bicester Golf & Country Club) and ended at 10pm, so there was plenty of time to chat to everyone, and for me to take lots of photos before we all sat down. The downside was that we were waiting a long time between courses of the meal, and for the speeches at the end. We were disappointed by the vegetarian option, mushroom risotto, and the veg was cold by the time our portions appeared, but the meat-eaters said the steak was excellent. The wines were excellent too - Australian Shiraz and Chardonnay. The club house was huge and a good venue otherwise.

I don’t really know why it is, but I become tearful when the happy couple come to take their vows to each other at weddings we’ve been to. It’s such a happy but solemn moment in the ceremony … something about the enormity of the words they are saying … and yet how many couples live happily ever after … perhaps half the number who marry? And how well do individuals cope when their loved ones become disabled or demented in later life?

Mrs C whispered to me on this occasion, that I was a big softie, (which I am -– yes, I’m a romantic), and held my hand when she noticed a few tears trickling down my face. The mother of the bride, who is often portrayed in dramas as the one who blubs, didn’t cry at all. Perhaps she cried when her daughter moved away from home some time ago?

Yesterday was a big day emotionally for my youngest daughter S, who moved out of of her house into a small one-roomed flat in the Kirstall Abbey area in Leeds. She and her female partner have just separated after living together for 4 years, and both have moved into smaller flats in Leeds. A sad time for them both, but hopefully a new beginning for them. The optimists say, “as one door closes, another opens”, which I think does happen. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

everything happens for a reason,
it's like it wasn't meant to be.
I think you are only here once this is no rehearsal this is it be happy.

6:52 pm  
Blogger justin said...

I agree with you, Steve, that we are here only once, so we should make the most of it while we're here. Be happy - no-one likes to meet up with or live with a misery-guts. What joy is there in that?

10:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home