Friday, July 28, 2006

It ain't half hot

It’s been another hot day –- most people I’ve spoken to are getting sick and tired of the heat, especially those working in offices without any air conditioning (or driving around in cars without the same). I’ve been reading & watching the news about how people in central London and in California have been experiencing power cuts, as the electricity companies haven’t got enough reserve power to cope with everyone turning on their aircon or fans to keep themselves cool.

I know the Health and Safety Department have strict guidelines about what it considers to be “safe” temperatures for office workers to work in … mainly to deter employers from turning the room thermostat too low, to economise on heating for the staff (my senior medical partner used to do that in the winter-time – it was very cold in the doctors’ waiting room and the adjacent reception area, and the staff would frequently complain… that was at a surgery in South Nottingham). So I presume it’s illegal for an employer to insist that his/her workers carry on working when it gets too hot ?

Thank God, that it’s getting cooler this evening – a welcome change. Not quite cold enough to get out my vest and longjohns, which I wear for about 10 months of the year. Well, you see, I’m as thin as a rake, so I need the extra layers. :)

Has anyone seen the film, Thank you for smoking? Mrs C and I saw it a couple of weeks ago, at the Broadway Cinema… it’s a brilliant black comedy, and we thought the main character (who’s the spokesman for the tobacco industry), became more and more likeable as the film progressed. Strange how you can get to like someone who is basically a merchant of death, but that’s how well written and acted it is.

I’ll stop there, as I’ve got to get a reasonable night’s sleep, before Mrs C and I set off for Oxfordshire tomorrow, for a family wedding. On Sunday, we’ll be driving up to Leeds, helping our youngest daughter move to another flat. So I’ll be back to blogging (I nearly typed the word bragging, which I suppose a lot of blogging is), after all that.
Have a great weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger steve said...

Justin I don't think there is a minimum or maximum temperature, there are no real guide lines, how ever there are certain things to take in consideration, also the work you are undertaking if you are active it need not be so hot and if inactive a bit warmer but there is no set temperature.
Like us at work last week it was 90 + degrees in the warehouse and we got 10 minutes extra in break time like wise in summer it is colder inside than out I have known it at minus 10, all this and you have to do strenuous work.
It's not unusual to have a soaking wet tee shirt after 1/2 an hour.
we really have to just grin and bear it.

8:11 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Thanks, Steve. I've been talking to a relative over the weekend who works in a airless office with no air-con. Some of her co-workers have just slumped on their desks as it's been too hot to work, and the management have stopped them leaving the office (to a cooler room) for more than their official break times. Mind you, if I told you she worked as a tax officer, you might not feel at all sympathetic. :)

11:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home