Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Royal visits to Nottingham

I thought I’d comment here, rather than in the
comments box, with a few thoughts about loos
and Royal visits.

As regards royal visits, I remember one visit
the Queen and the Duke paid to Nottingham
University, sometime in the 1980s. One of her
ladies-in-waiting paid a visit beforehand to
advise the University on Royal loo requirements,
following which someone went to John Lewis (one
of the UK’s finest department stores) in
Nottingham to get some new white cotton hand
towels for the occasion. I don't know what
brand of soap or bog roll were requested -
possibly a state secret. I often wondered what
ladies-in-waiting did these days – now we know.

I've done a Google search to check out the
Queen’s visits to Nottingham, and found a long
list of places she and other family members
visited one day in 1999. This included her
popping in to Nottingham’s Broadmarsh Centre
for a few minutes first thing in the morning.
I can’t imagine what she was doing there. I
wonder if she felt tempted to check out what
goodies she could buy for a pound, or if she
wanted to do a bit of pre-Xmas shopping? At
the end of the day she and the Duke were at
the opening of the Millenium Dome in London.
(What a waste of money, that was, the Dome I
mean).

Andrea’s comment about what a crap post my
last one was, reminds me of a funny slip of the
tongue I made yesterday. I’ve been busy revamping
a website, and I told Mrs C that I’d been working
all morning on a webshite … not an original
thought, however, as I’ve found doing a Google
search just now.

I’ll finish by posting one of my Cromer photos.
The lighthouse in Cromer is not very exciting to
look at, but the views from it are brilliant. Mrs C
and I were staying nearby. I walked one evening from
the lighthouse down the coastal path into town, on
a photo-shoot. I’ll post a few more shots of my walk
this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Identikit said...

Get those undies in the bin, Justin. Dear me. That's one reason I hate wearing tights - they always feel like they are about to fall down. Not a problem you have, I hope!!

Haven't visited for a while so have been catching up. Congrats on the impending grandchild. I was interested to see you have a gay daughter - you seem rather more relaxed about it than my outlaws are!!

3:36 pm  
Blogger steve said...

I have only been to Cromer once I delivered a refrigeration unit(not like one in your home this weighed 3 tons)to a new supermarket 15 years ago only spent an hour there and I was off back home the total drive time from Bradford in a truck was 9 hours.

7:25 pm  
Blogger justin said...

Le Chat - good to hear from you. Nope, I don't wear tights, but I wear longjohns for about 9 months of the year, as I'm so thin (usual weight 9-9.5st., height 5ft 10.5ins, so I need the extra insulation to keep warm (and they help keep the fraying undies up!).
We've got used to our youngest daughter being gay (she came out in her last A level year), and we've got on very well with the partners she's chosen since. We're more concerned for her own happiness and safety, as there is a lot of homophobia around.

10:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home