Sunday, June 25, 2006

Loggerheads and the Shire Hall

If you're interested in signing up to a cheaper
broadband (BB) service with Carphone Warehouse, you
could have a look at Edt's helpful comments in the
last Comments box. I had a chat with a couple of my
chums on Friday, in the Loggerheads Pub after our
guitar session. Both are on NTL cable like me, and
both are happy to stay with NTL, as they've had
excellent service from it. One commented that he
didn't mind paying twice as much for his BB service
- twice as much as BB with Carphone W, which
surprised me, as he's a pensioner like me. Oh well,
the phrase, "you get what you pay for", springs to
mind (as BB with CW has its limitations).
The Loggerheads on Cliff Road in Nottm looks as
interesting place.... it was built in the 1700s
according to my friends, and has old beer cellars/
caves into the sandstone rock (common to other old
pubs in the area and Nottm Castle also). The area
used to be known as Narrow Marsh, and was one of the
bad slum areas in Nottingham. All the old housing was
cleared in the 1930s, and drab council housing was
built there instead - only the old pub remains, in
spitting distance of the old prison of Nottingham,
Shire Hall. They used to hang people just outside
the Shire Hall in the old days, just by the main
entrance on High Pavement, in the presence of huge
crowds of onlookers.
My friends knew the Loggerheads as a real ale pub
with folk evenings 20-30 years ago, and it had a
skittle alley. Currently the new management is
giving it a new look, with live music on Friday
nights and pub food too. The spicy tomato soup was
very nice, as was the John Smith bitter.
The Shire Hall is one of the main tourist
attractions in Nottm - now called the Galleries of
Justice - well worth a visit, if you like to feel
what it was like to be a prisoner in the old days, and
to see the original courtroom. I've found a website
showing a little video of what one of the prison
cells looks like - brilliantly lit - ideal for
student accommodation... just put up a few posters
on the wall and add a hi-fi and a large TV...it could
be a trendy place to live. :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you've hit the proverbial CPU nail on the head Justin. You pays your money and thats what you get.

Interesting comment re: CW 'may not be able to take you on/exchange refurbish issues'?

Here the BIG question is which local exchanges will the competing ISP's install/invest their own technology into, on the unbundled Telecom(BT equiv)copper network. The suggestion is they will 'cherry pic' the profitable city/country towns, and ignore the rural market, which has few BB customers/telephone line distance issues, but generates approx 60% of our annual national income.

There is also the distance from the local exchange to your PC/attainable speed issue too, which I bet is likely to be better from a bigger more profitable ISP, generating higher profits and investing more back into infrastructure?.

I could get my current 250hrs per month of dial-up for half the price here , BUT its an excellent ISP, seldom broken, always a dream to log-on to. Sometimes a few $ saved is a trade off for variable attainable speed/low quality supplied modems/poor 'help desk' service.

Wikipedia is by the way excellent for PC terms, USB/WiFi/Flash Memory Card and the like, sometimes a bit too technical, but often with useful links.

Your description of the Loggerheads rather reminds me of the fond memories of country pubs I visited and drank real ale in, back in 79/80/81 during my OE to 'ol blighty from NZ.
Mostly around Lowerstoft, Oxford and Penzance.
(OE is the antipodean 'overseas experience' sometimes refered to as the Big OE)

1:45 am  
Blogger justin said...

Edt: Well for me the only reason I would change my ISP is the cost - our BB and phone bills would be about £15 a month cheaper. Otherwise, I'm happy with the service NTL provides.
I see you're familiar with "Inspector Morse" country around Oxford. I lived with my parents in Reading for a few years in the mid-late '60s. We used to visit Oxford quite a lot for the scenery and culture, and I used to cycle around the Thames Valley area... glorious.

6:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home