Thursday, May 18, 2006

more flowers

Here are photos of a type of gorse and some
rhododendrons that are out in bloom at the moment.
It's rhododendron and azalea time in the UK -
most of the large woodland parks and stately
homes have masses of them. If the weather's good
in Leeds this weekend, we'll head for Temple
Newsam Park for the flower display and a good
walk round.
Oh dear, I've just checked the weather forecast
for the weekend and it's going to be wet. Perhaps
we'll go to the cinema or to the shops/cafes in
Leeds. In the city centre we usually make a
beeline for the Pasta Romagna - excellent home-made
pasta and pizza, good coffee (though not quite
as good as Betty's) and opera-style singing
from the owner. You can imagine yourself in Italy
there.....which reminds me to mention a brilliant
Italian cafe in the middle of Covent Garden in
London ... always very popular, and a nice place
to sit down and relax.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, love Pasta and good
coffee, but Justin, how can
one relax with La Traviata
Opereta. ??
I,d probably slip away be-
fore my order arrives. LOL!!
Beautiful pics, as always!!

11:42 am  
Blogger whatalotoffun said...

you know so much about your flowers wish I did. I love flowers and all but I dont know there names. I think I need some lessons from you

2:44 pm  
Blogger steve said...

very nice pictures Justin I wished our garden was big enough to house things like that we just have to keep it smallish and have a good time in Leeds Where I used to live in Bradford I could look out of my loft window and see right across the whole of Leeds and even see the cooling towers at Selby on a good day we were that high up.

5:14 pm  
Blogger justin said...

DF, WLF and Steve: thanks for your appreciative remarks...they encourage me to carry on blogging. If we go to the Pasta Romanga in Leeds, I'll let you know what Mrs Walker sings.
Steve: which part of Bradford did you live in, that had the amazing view?

10:57 pm  
Blogger steve said...

well Justin I lived all over Bradford I was born on Heaton Rd right opposite the massive mill built by lister called manningham mills thats the one with huge chimney that dominates the skyline in that district. then we moved to woodside nrear buttershaw I got married and moved to Tong which is near Pudsey and then moved to a road just off Tong St thats the Wakefield Rd side of the city it was a old house a tall end terrace and once I had the loft converted I could look out of the velux window and look all around.
you could see the pennines going off towards Lancashire I could see the tails of aircraft with binoculars at Yeadon airport right across Leeds like I said.
look on Google Earth set it to
53 deg 46'07.50 N. 1deg 42'37.53 W the elevation is 691 feet. You can see my house with the 2 velux windows on the roof and that is my car parked on the front of the house. by the way I still have that car.

3:56 am  
Blogger justin said...

That sounds like an amazing view, Steve. I'll have a look on Google Earth soon (on Mrs C's laptop, which has got G. Earth on it). Mrs C had a couple of elderly relatives in Pudsey, whom we visited a couple of times in the 1970s, so I have a rough idea of the terrain.
When I had a look on Google Earth for our house, the picture quality was very poor. There are government buidings of some significance a few miles away from us, and an army barracks/depot/training centre a bit further away, so the poor picture quality might be deliberate.

7:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home